UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
trajen777

Casar Lives And Invades Parthia

Caesar was set in the fall to invade the Parthian empire before he died. Rome was primarily in infantry army which relied upon shock, and short range missile (pilum) throws vs the Part horse archer and HC. They had cut up one Roman Army in the not to distant past and would tear up Anthony shortly after. However Cesar had apparently learned from past mistakes and had built a good army to offset these tactics. Considering the brilliance of Caesar and his ability to overcome logistic feats, the quality of the troops, and his dispositions could he have won, and more importantly have consolidated his gains.

The thing that irks me is that all the good generals die before a full scale campaign in Parthia. Parthia surely is lucky. I would have rather prefered that Caesar conquer Germania Magna, that way, Rome wouldn't have to deal with Germanic barbarian people, who then would be Romanized and longer would want to attack Rome their new institution, centuries later.

I think that Caesar would have won. Crassus, although exceedingly rich, could not buy a master general's skills, and thus he ignored the terrain and advice given to him; and was thus slaughtered by the Parthians.

Caesar, however, learned his foe's minds. He put this knowledge together with the terrain, the enemy's tactics, his own forces and their limits and come up with a viable and more then effective strategy more often then not. He would have beaten the Parthians.

The question is; could the Romans have held the empire after Caesar? One has to remember that because Caesar survived, the entire face of the ancient world is changed. Well, this has been discussed exhaustingly in other subjects; i might look for them and find answers :P

By preparing for the Parthian war; what do you mean?

Are you reffering to the extent he surveyed the land, the training of special forces equiped to deal with horse archers, the supplies and provisions he gathered or simply his study of Parthian strategy?

Thanks.