UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Ask The Expert - Dr Bryan Ward Perkins

Viggen

Hello Professor Ward-Perkins,

thank you so much for taking the time to trying to answer all of our questions, we really appreciate it and are gratefull

I hope you enjoyed some of the questions :)

thanks again,

viggen

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Professor Ward-Perkins,

thank you so much for taking the time to trying to answer all of our questions, we really appreciate it and are gratefull

I hope you enjoyed some of the questions :)

thanks again,

viggen

Thanks for this Viggen - I've enjoyed it a lot. I'm only sorry that a busy of our teaching term has meant I was rather slow in my replies!

G'day Professor Ward-Perkins, i apologise for taking so long to post a question, as i have been restricted from the net due to viruses to the computer and myself :)

I hope that i'm not too late to post a question.

I hope you can clarify something for me; How did the East survive so much better then the West? By the time Romulus Augustulus was deposed, the East had gained slightly against the Persians and were well versed in dealing with barbarians. So, why did the East end up better off then the West?

I am sure i echo everyone's sentiments when i express my extreme gratitude in your presence in the forum and for answering questions.

Cheers

Tobias

Edited by Tobias

First, thanks for taking the time to participate in our forum. I'm looking forward to reading your book (on its way from Amazon now!), where my question may already be answered or where I may find that I've misunderstood your thesis.

Broadly speaking, I'm wondering how you would apply your analysis of the effects of Roman-'Barbarian' relations in the late empire to the same relations earlier in Rome's history. For example, what changed such that the Roman-'Barbarian' relations earlier in Rome's history (e.g., Roman-Gallic relations during the late republic) initially did not bring about the ruin of Rome yet later did have this effect?

wooo, slow down people...

It is over for now, give the prof a break.... :romansoldier:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Now the good news

I asked Professor Ward-Perkins which question he enjoyed most to reply, so we could give that person a copy of his latest book....

and the winner is.......

******** This is REALLY difficult - they are so different. But in an odd

way the very simple question from Pertinax about what book brings ancient

Rome to life was the most enjoyable to reply to.

So congratulation Pertinax! You just manged to get yourself The Fall Of Rome: And The End Of Civilization from Professor Ward-Perkins! :)

should be on your way the next couple of days! :)

cheers and thanks to everyone for participating...

regards

viggen

Well thank you very much!

The odd thing about the answer that the Professor gave was that id just read and reviewd one of his choices -Rubicon the week I asked the question, had enjoyed Pompeii when it came out and had forgotten "The Eagle of the Ninth" which is strictly a childrens book but is so wonderful it doesnt matter. I havent read "The Eagle" for years so I reordered it, the BBC did a kids tv prog of it ages ago, I wonder if any tapes exist? Id recomend it to all.

Thank you again! :):romansoldier: Roma Victor!

:fish:

Edited by Pertinax

Damn it, I can't believe I missed this, I've been away too long. :) Oh Well, it was interesting replies to ther peoples questions.

Ahem....,

It was on the front page of Unrv.com, it was sent out via our newsletter and if you opted in for receiving mail from the administrator when you signed up at the forum you would have been notified too...

We really tried hard to inform everyone... ;)

cheers

viggen

Professor Ward Perkins,

First, thank you for coming to the site. I don't think that I'm too familiar with your work, but I hope to get around to reading your work soon.

You said that a number of Roman aristocrats fled to the Eastern Empire when the barbarians took full control. I personally don't blame them. However, I've always wondered; what happened to the Senate? I do know that its power had waned over the centuries with the increased centralized control of the emperor. However, once the barbarians had more or less seized power in Italy, what happened to the Senate?

Edit: Whoops, didn't see that it was over. Oh well, I'll leave this question here for anyone who wants to answer.

Edited by Emperor Goblinus

From what I know, they just fled to the safest provinces where they had estates. Most probably in the countryside, but my answer is wrong. But that's interesting, where did they go next after the senate.

According to Bertand Lancon in his book, "Rome in Late Antiquity," the latest record for the Roman Senate is for the year 573 AD, under the prefect Gregory. The book is a fascinating study of the city of Rome at the end of the ancient world. It ends with Pope Gregory the Great in the early 600's.