UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Greek Vase, 2,500 Years Old, Is Shattered In Smuggling Probe

Viggen

On June 19, 1990, Sotheby's Holdings Inc. held the century's first known auction of works by the Leonardo da Vinci of Greek pots, Euphronios. A 2,500-year-old kylix wine cup painted with a Trojan War scene, sold in New York for $742,000 to a then-anonymous ``European buyer.''

Then it vanished. The kylix is the only Euphronios vase listed as having an ``unknown'' location by Oxford University's Beazley Archive, the standard reference for Greek vessels.

full article at Bloomberg

Sickening. There should be no unknowns, there should be no private ownership of humanity's history, that vase belongs in a museum!

Though uncomfortable about it, I feel that private ownership is ok as long as it's registered and it's whereabouts completely transparent.

Just because someone has a lot of money does not mean they have the knowledge, maturity or right to own it. A crazy religious zealot rich person could buy up relics of a hated religion and destroy them just because he can.

Just because someone has a lot of money does not mean they have the knowledge, maturity or right to own it. A crazy religious zealot rich person could buy up relics of a hated religion and destroy them just because he can.

And by the same token, simply because it is in a museum does not mean it will properly cared for, displayed and/or respected.

And by the same token, simply because it is in a museum does not mean it will properly cared for, displayed and/or respected.

I suppose that is true, I can think of a few instances when it has been true.

It is a whole matter of accountability with me. The individual is not accountable but an organization who's duty is an item's protection is accountable. What good does an artifact serve in some rich snob's study when only his family see's it, better to be in a museum where the student can learn from it and use that knowledge towards the science as a whole.

That belongs in a museum!

Edited by Favonius Cornelius

Reminds me of something I read about a guy who worked for a fossil finding organization, who had a contract with a rancher to excavate and keep any fossils on his property. He found the most complete tyrannosaurus fossil ever found. As it so happens, th guy's ranch was held in trust by the feds. So they confiscated it and sent the excavator to jail. lol