UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Byzantine Relations With The Rus

Tobias

G'day All :)

As i'm certain many people know, During the reign of Basil II "Bulgaroktonos" (The Bulgar Slayer), a chap named Vladimir of Kiev further strengthened the ties between the Byzantine Empire and the developing Rus dominions by marrying Basil's sister Anna, ceding a former Byzantine base back to the empire and supplying warriors, which became known as the Varangian Guard of the Emperor.

As can be recognized in some of the art and architecture in Russia today, the Russians gained a lot of culture from the Byzantines. They sought to become like the Byzantines in many ways. My question is; Should there have been a closer alliance between the Rus warriors and the Byzantines, could the empire have been saved? Could some of these northern peoples perhaps submitted to the Byzantine Emperor and fight for him? Could a closer alliance with these peoples brought more money, more soldiers and more power to the region?

As always, i value all opinions in helping to sate curiosity :D.....

Let us say that an alliance was struck. Give me some numbers here, what could the Rus offer in troops? In the end I doubt it would be enough, and by then the Byzantines were familiar with the discomfort of having a great number of foreign troops within the city and the provinces...

• 2 weeks later...
The Varangian gaurd was formed primarily of Russian peoples

And after the Norman Conquest of England in 1066, many of the soldiers in the English army went to Constantinople to be Varagians, part of the perk was that they would be fighting the Normans in Sciliy and Southern Italy.

Ah, I hadn't much time during a few weeks and missed this thread.

Well, need say at first who were varangian and who were russian during the Bizantine time. They were the same. We should not talk about them individually. The word "Russian" have a varangian origin. It was a varangian tribe who came to territory of slaves land because they got an inviting from slaves tribes to fight slaves lands from south tribes who led a nomad's life in Crimea and in south Russia.

The Varangian gaurd was formed primarily of Russian peoples

Yes, from Russian (varangian) people, not from slaves people. The varangian guard was really great during that time but they were not popular in slaves lands because they protected the slaves boards partially only. They pillaged in generally the aboriginal population in spite of fact that they must defend them. Varangians were mercenaries, but they had a rule in slaves lands and all land got name "Russia" soon.

No, I don't think so because Russia at the time was being conquered by the Mongols in 1241 and remained so until all of Timuchin's sons died. So really, the Russians had their own problems to deal with.

You talked about late time. The first mention about conflict of Russia and Byzantium date the first half of 9AD. One of chronicles talks about "madly" armed attack of Russians on Byzantine regions in Crimea (Bramlin was the leader of Russians), next mention date the middle of 9 AD. In this time Russians attacked the Byzantine region in Asia Minor. Well, the one aim of this actions was pillage of course but both varangian attacks were successful.

After that the active diplomatic talks between Russia and Byzantine began (852 AD) because Byzantine was really alarmed a new disturbing neighbour near own boards.

Should there have been a closer alliance between the Rus warriors and the Byzantines, could the empire have been saved?

It was a good case for Bizantine to get a "mad" restless ally but Byzantine became to play on two fields in one moment. On the one hand the trades agreements between Byzantine and Russia were take; on the second hand Byzantine began to help Chazars to build a fortress near Russian boards in an effort to block this trade way. During a long time Russia was blocked but raids on the Byzantine territory recommenced right up till the 10 AD.

Probably it was Byzantine's bad mistake but we may guess about it only.

IMAO: It could be good alliance in that time and most likely as Byzantine as Russia could circumvent difficulties in the future.