UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Messalina Mommsen

Your Predictions For Future...

don't advocate drugs in anyway but do you know that 4 acers of trees is equivilant to 1 acer of hemp in temrs of 500 sheets of paper!!?!? Marjuana plants grow faster then regular trees as well.

I'm not totally familiar with this subject, but I seem to remember hearing that hemp depletes the soil really fast while trees not nearly as much. This might be something thrown into the calculation.

Indeed, but Moonlapse was suggesting as an optimist that we can even make the smallest of differences by instilling certain values or ideals in our children. No worries, I'm sure his intention was not for us to actually discuss our families. :(

My whole post was intended to be tongue in cheek. I didn't expect anyone to take any of it seriously. Of course she was trying to get things on more of an "up" tone and my post was intended to be a playful tease directed towards her efforts. Sorry if it didn't come off that way.

Actually in my real life I am pretty optimistic. Of course in my real life I don't spend a lot of time talking about the prospect of a city in my country being nuked by a bunch of crazies either.

Once again, sorry if you did not understand that my previous post was intended to be a joke.

Dudes......do you know whats really stupid?

The fact that we have millions of acers of corn and 98% of it gets wasted each year because we already have enough food. But that 98% could be made into Ethol to be used in cars and run generators and factory machines....thus the stupidity of the Amercian Govemrnet, our unwilliningness to adapt and the oil corporations keeping the Ethol idea secret. Also we could run the whole Western half of our country on wind and solar farms...another thing that is being kept secret by the oil corporations. And finnally the paper issue.....I don't advocate drugs in anyway but do you know that 4 acers of trees is equivilant to 1 acer of hemp in temrs of 500 sheets of paper!!?!? Marjuana plants grow faster then regular trees as well. Thus is so stupid to keep cutting down whole forests and having to use more of them to make a matiral we cam make much more efficiantly with hemp or how about papyrus! The Egypitians used papyrus how come we can't??

sorry about spelling

Zeke

I'm not really up on all the latest ethanol news, but I heard somewhere that the production of ethanol consumes more fuel than it produces. It kinda sounds like an indirect way of subsidizing large corporate farms if that is the case.

Then again, I could be wrong. Its not something I spend a lot of time thinking about. I'm more of a renewable energy and energy saving appliances kind of guy.

Did you guys hear about the company that is using algae to take pollutants out of smokestack emissions in power plants. I think I saw the news article on the CNN.com website last week, but my memory is a little fuzzy. Supposedly they think they will be doing 100 million in revenue per year fairly soon.

Right now I think it works best of natural gas plants for some reason that is beyond my technical understanding, but their real hope is to make it useful with coal powered plants.

Supposedly this technology will convert almost all of the harmful gases into harmless elements like oxygen.

I don't know much about it, but its the kind of thing that makes me feel hopeful about future greenhouse fas emmissions.

Edited by DanM

Ethanol isn't a secret. Car manufacturers are making vehicles that are capable of using E85 ethanol/gasoline blend. This fuel is most commonly found in the midwest US, but can be hard or impossible to find elsewhere. Ideally it would be nice to have it available everywhere and for all cars to be able to use it, but it still will cost much more than gasoline. Infrastructure changes are not free.

Though I agree, ethanol and biodiesel are the most viable options for transportation.

My whole post was intended to be tongue in cheek. I didn't expect anyone to take any of it seriously. Of course she was trying to get things on more of an "up" tone and my post was intended to be a playful tease directed towards her efforts. Sorry if it didn't come off that way.

Uh oh. I'm probably the ugliest woman you've ever seen. Well, maybe not.

I think 'labels' are dangerous, in a way, as it exposes people to lumping individuals into categories and once you are 'labeled' and fit a particular category, whole bunches of people can be demonized.

I think we are falling into the same traps as before and that's why history is so important and relevant and why it is more important to teach history than math or science.

In the 4th century AD, a deliberate attempt was made to demonize barbarians and as Prof. Perkins points out in the book I recently reviewed, "The Fall of Rome", the most common coin (copper) was that of a Christian soldier spearing a barbarian to death and one of the most common phrases heard was that the only good barbarian was a dead barbarian.

I fear that we may be falling into the same frenzy when we say "Muslims are this or Jews are this or Christians or Hindus or whatever".... Religion has a way of attracting fanatical followers and those who perpetrate acts of violence are still in the minority but have a great potential to cause major havoc.

I think your doomsday scenario of people justifying the killing of millions of innocents even if a few madmen 'nuked' a major American city is certainly within the realms of possibility but in terms of probability, highly unlikely. In every American city, thousands of Muslims, Christians, atheists, etc. etc. would die. The bomb does not discriminate and kills everyone and the terrorist is 'faceless', one who professes to belong to a brand of Islam that devout Muslims abhor and condemn.

It is like a fringe group and the more they kill, the less support they'll get. Like rats and cockroaches, they need to be weeded out and exterminated but they have so far remained resilient and are hiding like the true cowards they are. After enough murder has been committed, they may get sickened of it themselves ( I hope) and maybe this movement will die out in one or two generations. How many can you brainwash with promises of 'virgins' in the after life and other BS ?

Edited by Skarr

I think 'labels' are dangerous, in a way, as it exposes people to lumping individuals into categories and once you are 'labeled' and fit a particular category, whole bunches of people can be demonized.

I think we are falling into the same traps as before and that's why history is so important and relevant and why it is more important to teach history than math or science.

I agree with this entirely. I'm reminded of a book by Tariq Ali called 'The Clash of Fundamentalisms.' It describes the mentality of both Islamic and Western fundamentalism. Tariq Ali suggests that we are currently experiencing an ugly recurring pattern of history, whereby religious symbols play a part on both sides:

oh by the way...December 26th 2012 is the end of the Mayan Calenders that could be the end of the world..........

Zeke

oh by the way...December 26th 2012 is the end of the Mayan Calenders that could be the end of the world..........

Zeke

Indeed, bible codes also say 2012 is the end. :D I thought it was the 22nd...havent looked into it for awhile so you're probably right.

This is really disappointing news. I was planning on a big new years party in 2012. (the all important 12th anniversary of the the new millenium is worth celebrating, of course) I guess I need to move it up to 2011, but then its not really the 12th anniversary anymore is it?

This is really disappointing news. I was planning on a big new years party in 2012. (the all important 12th anniversary of the the new millenium is worth celebrating, of course) I guess I need to move it up to 2011, but then its not really the 12th anniversary anymore is it?

PP, it's amazing how so many people want the 'world' to end. Whose world ? The Earth has been here for a few billion years and will remain for a few billion more. We've heard enough of these crackpot theories and mark my words, 2012 will just be another day in someone's life - mundane, ordinary and nothing to remark upon. However, between now and 2012, there may be hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and what not, as Nature doesn't function according to a 'man made' clock. Thousands may die but humans have spread all over the globe now and number in the billions.

There is nothing significant about one particular date unless you happen to know that a comet or meteor is going to strike the Earth and can calculate exactly its orbit. Even that is not accurate and for all the great scientists in the world, it may still miss us by millions of miles. The Earth or the world will still remain and life will go on. Some humans will survive even after a terrible catastrophe. Unlike the dinosaurs, a few of us will be able to see it coming and will hide deep underground or wherever it's possible to survive. Don't write off mankind yet.

Considering that someone or another predicts the end of humanity on an annual basis, I suppose one day one of these prognosticators will be right. I prefer to live on happily oblivious to all the prediction of impending doom.

It makes it that much more exciting when fire rains down from heaven, if you didn't know it was coming :D