UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Primus Pilus

Hbo Rome Second Season

Since we've noticed in our traffic logs that alot of people seem to be finding the forum while looking for information on the renewal of the HBO Rome Series. We can use this thread to post news or information about it.

From HBO Rome Official Site

HBO has renewed its epic drama series ROME for a second season, it was announced today by Carolyn Strauss, president, HBO Entertainment. Production of the 12-episode second season will begin next March, with the debut set for 2007.

"Although the first season of ROME is just underway, we're affirming our support for this exciting and ambitious series by preparing for a second season now," noted Strauss. "I'm delighted that critics and subscribers share our enthusiasm for the show."

The initial episodes of ROME have inspired legions of critical praise. TV Guide hailed it as a "feast for the eyes" and a "ripping good story," as well as a "shamelessly enjoyable historical romp." USA Today called ROME "as extravagant, enticing and chaotic as Rome itself," adding, "you may never want to leave." The Washington Post described the series as "ravishing and wickedly shocking," and "a feast for the senses that includes generous portions of food for thought."

Originally posted in the 'Season 1' thread by Violentilla...

But Mr. Albrecht disputes any notion that HBO is off its game. "I feel like we've done the job we needed to do in programming," he said. "Our audience has certainly moved off Sunday nights to other points during the week." As for "Rome," he said, HBO has been encouraged by the series' growth among viewers and by a second round of critical comments, which largely moved from tepid to enthusiastic.

In strict viewer terms, HBO calls "Rome" a success because, while its Sunday totals are not overwhelming, it accumulates more than 7 million viewers a week during its multiple showings.

Mr. Albrecht announced only a couple of weeks into its run that he was renewing the series for another season. But in the interview he said, "That ship hasn't entirely sailed yet."

The reason, he said, has nothing to do with how well "Rome" turned out. Mainly, the issue has been money. "Rome" was wildly expensive, costing an estimated $100 million. It initially experienced debilitating production delays, fueling rumors that it was a troubled show. Once it was on the air and was seen to be a quality production, Mr. Albrecht said, those rumors subsided.

But he said those delays meant he had only a short window of time to retain a hold on the actors, which was why he renewed the series so quickly. For now, that means ordering scripts, which will be difficult to write because they need to cover the complicated period following the fall of Caesar.

"The real reason why, even though I ordered the show, we haven't formally gone into production, is how long it's going to take," he said. " 'Rome' won't be back until, at the earliest, March of 2007. Which makes you say to yourself: When I bring the show back, can I build an audience?"

Long interruptions have never cooled viewers' ardor for "The Sopranos," but Mr. Albrecht acknowledged that those layoffs had not been ideal for scheduling. "Part of the challenge for us is to figure a way to be a little more flexible," he said.

From AOL News

With that kind of delay it might as well be a different show. I really don't see any reason why a dedicated crew could not pump out another season in short time, as there are so many examples of that kind of turnover for other shows.

It looks like a low budget show though...they don't even show the big battles.

Edited by Zeke

I was really disappointed to miss the battle at Pharsalus (putting Vorenus on the decisive flank would have been supreme irony), but they did spend $100 million on the series, and they did a damned good job.

The article leaves things definately undetermined. What I read at the HBO forum indicates that an Italian news agency reported that work on the set had been halted. Apparantly North American news agencies picked this up and jumped to the conclusion that the show has been cancelled. Nobody seems to know for sure, and HBO/BBC are both mum.

I don't think we will know anything definate until the final show airs in the UK. I'm sure the BBC would be none to pleased if HBO announces the show as a failure before it is yet to finish its 1st season run on in the UK.

I have not heard anything yet from any of the NY local papers, and they usually get this info really quick.

I am pretty sure they already renewed, and doubt they can back out of it now, though I guess anything is possible.

They've clearly gone to town on the sets and the costumes, and while some of the lines make me wince I'm more worried about some of the casting. Ciaran Hinds has the dignity, but there's no hint of the personal

charm or the pitiless political genius for which Caesar was famous; nothing about him makes me think that an

army would follow him to India and back. Pity they couldn't stretch to Christopher Walken.

They've clearly gone to town on the sets and the costumes, and while some of the lines make me wince I'm more worried about some of the casting. Ciaran Hinds has the dignity, but there's no hint of the personal

charm or the pitiless political genius for which Caesar was famous; nothing about him makes me think that an

army would follow him to India and back. Pity they couldn't stretch to Christopher Walken.

Hello Aquila and welcome...

You'll find that your opinion on Ciaran Hinds is pretty much consensus around here. I too think that is portrayal of 'dignitas' is quite well done, but he lacks the energy and charisma that Caesar undoubtedly had. Its scattered throughout the conversation in this thread...

HBO Rome and BBC too

I have not heard anything new since I had dinner with a development executive who told me HBO greenlit a second season to lock down the actors before they scattered and to justify all the expense they already spent.

I heard HBO was originally concerned but liked the ratings the latter episodes were getting. Some shows need to slowly build audience. I didn't really get into the Sopranos or Star Trek Next Generation until season two.

I heeded Primus Pilums advice to show support by getting on the website and buying something. The Rome coffee mug is quite nice.

The editor of Variety here in Hollywood yesterday called HBO's ROME one of the "few bright spots in an otherwise lackluster tv season".

Io Saturnalia everyone!

I didn't really get into the Sopranos or Star Trek Next Generation until season two.

I liked both of those instantly, but your point is perfectly valid.

I heeded Primus Pilums advice to show support by getting on the website and buying something. The Rome coffee mug is quite nice.

I've been meaning to do this for some time, thanks for reminding me. Hey if you have any sway with the people who have a sway with people in making the series, beg them for more battles and politics please. :) And then get me into a casting crew party too. :)

Io Saturnalia!

I'd love to see the second series emulate "The West Wing", one of the best things I think ever to have come out of American TV, and consistently good over seven series now?

Imagine getting an insight into thr workings of the Senate secretariat, or Maecenas' advisers, or Agrippa's staff, and seeing the rise of octavian through their eyes. Detailed examinations, in dramatic terms, of the key political events in all their subtlety.

I doubt we'll get it.

But maybe, one day, we'll get "Palatine" or "Aula Regia" - set in9say0 the reign of marcus Aurelius, or Trajan. Thinking about it, Jimmy Smits might make a great Trajan...

Phil

Though this is similar to posting above I thought I post it in their FAQ they now have it listed to come back in 2007 and production is starting this March

http://www.hbo.com/corpinfo/faq/romefaq.shtml

When does Rome air?

Rome Season 1 has completed. However, Season 1 will re-air beginning December 26.

Visit the Online Schedule for full details.

Will there be a second season of Rome?

Rome has been renewed for a second season. Production of the 12-episode second season will begin next March, with the debut set for 2007.

Is Rome season 1 available on DVD?

Plans have not yet been announced for the release of Rome Season 1 on DVD.

One issue that I always felt hurt HBO is the timespan is usually very long especially for a TV show. It really has to have a superb following such as Sopranos to pull it off. Some complaints from friensds who watch other HBO series, say it so long they forget all about it or what happened and hard for them to get back in. I understand it takes a long itme to produce these shows but too bad they could not speed it up a bit.

I do beleive though this season is a make it or break it...by third or fourth episode if it does not pick up to what they want, probbaly be last season, I hope not.

Edited by Denec