UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Primus Pilus

Hbo Rome Second Season

If the subject of the second season is the rise of Octavian, it should be a smashing success. The man who wore a sphinx ring was nothing if not captivating (literally).

BBc announced a " second series" as the first concluded-next year.

From an HBO email. At least we know they are doing the full 10 episode production...

HBO's epic drama series ROME has begun production on its ten-episode second season, it was announced by Carolyn Strauss, president, HBO Entertainment. Filming of the new episodes will continue at Rome's Cinecitta Studios through next October, with debut set for 2007.

"This exciting series offers a spectacle unlike anything else on TV," noted Strauss. "The new episodes of ROME will go deeper into the intriguing characters and provocative storylines that made the first season a hit with critics and subscribers."

Chronicling the fall of a republic and the rise of an empire, the first season of ROME wrapped last December. TV Guide hailed it as a "feast for the eyes" and a "ripping good story," as well as a "shamelessly enjoyable historical romp," while the Washington Post described the series as "ravishing and wickedly shocking," and "a feast for the senses that includes generous portions of food for thought." In addition, ROME received two Golden Globe

Any news on the likely historical time frame?

"This exciting series offers a spectacle unlike anything else on TV," noted Strauss. "The new episodes of ROME will go deeper into the intriguing characters and provocative storylines that made the first season a hit with critics and subscribers."

Since the series is going deeper into the selfsame characters, it is reasonable to assume that the series is a continuation of the last one. That is, it starts where the last one left off.

The timeframe of the last series was slightly odd - some years were almost skipped - I think there was a jump after the birth of Caesarion; while others seemed to be covered in minute detail.

So, starting from the murder of Caesar, what obvious end points suggest themselves?

Octavian's rise to consul, covering the civil war with Antony, Mutina etc - allows plenty of free reign to Fulvia. Cicero and others can plot and counter-plot. But not enough there for a full series, and it leaves the "liberators" at a loose end. Lots for servilia to get involved in here.

So extend it to Phillipi - still not enough in my view for a full series - the battle and the deaths of Cassius and Brutus might come at about the same point in series II though that Pharsalus came in series I. There is good political/character/sexual material in the Octavian/Livia relationship.

We extend further - to the formation of the second triumvirate and the proscriptions - including the death of Cicero. Another nice rounding off for a character (rather like M P Cato in series I) but not a conclusion.

What follows - Antony going east, Cleopatra coming to meet him in her gilded barge (good opportunity for a visual feast). I assume they'll play 'Tony and Cleo as a political as well as a passionate relationship - perhaps cynical on both sides (as with Caesar and Cleo earlier). All this could be salted with the Sextus Pompeius piracy story.

The growing tension between Antony and Octavian, getting rid of Lepidus, the meeting at Brundusium and the marriage to Octavia - break with Cleo would be good drama, and Octavia was established as a strong character in series I, so they are surely bound to follow her "arc".

I think that, thereafter there are only 2 end points that strike me as logical - just before the breach with Octavian/sending Octavia home (very emotional); or after Actium with the suicides of Antony and Cleopatra. That would allow this series to be the story of Octavian's rise to power.

On the other hand, if the series ended just before Actium, there is not enough of the story of Antony and Cleopatra left to make a full series if a third is envisaged.

So on balance, I feel this series will end with the triumph (not literally) of Octavian and his assumption of the title Augustus.

A third series could then replicate "I Claudius" or the old 60s series "The Caesars".

Of course, another consideration must be how the two old soldiers, Pullo and Vorenus will act out their stories. As they are largely fiction it is difficult to say what might happen, but between Mutina, Phillipi and choosing Antony of Octavian, as well as love affairs etc there is plenty of scope. As Pullo is, in story terms, suggested as the real father of caesarion - will we see him in the Antonius/Cleopatra camp? And does that mean, to add conflict and tension, that vorenus, now a Senator will follow Octavian?

I can't wait to find out!!

There are just my musings. I'd be fascinated to hear what others think might happen. or what choices the scriptwriters might make.

Phil

Considering that Crassus was absent from season 1, I would be surprised to see much of a role from Lepidus. I wonder even if the sons of Pompey will get much attention. As for Antony and Cleopatra, they may have a hard time reconciling the rather obscure portrayal of her in the first season into the cunning political figure that she most assuredly was...

Regardless, I'm definately along for the ride.

I seem to recall that at least one of the sons of Pompey had a role in the first series - maybe that was ready for series 2?

I think I largely agree with your point on Lepidus.

Given Antony's satyrlike character in series 1 and the very sexually liberated Cleo, I wonder whether we will have "older man under sway of younger siren"?? So Antony will be led by the nose to his doom. Given the series liked to show sex as a motive (Servilia gaining revenge on Caesar for his rejection of her was in a way the KEY theme of series 1); maybe Antony will be led willingly to his doom, destroyed by his libido!!!

Phil

Given Antony's satyrlike character in series 1 and the very sexually liberated Cleo, I wonder whether we will have "older man under sway of younger siren"?? So Antony will be led by the nose to his doom. Given the series liked to show sex as a motive (Servilia gaining revenge on Caesar for his rejection of her was in a way the KEY theme of series 1); maybe Antony will be led willingly to his doom, destroyed by his libido!!!

I hope they don't take this route completely and at least explore some of the political motivations for Antony's actions in the east (though I don't mind a bit of sexual intrigue of course). They seemed to do a good job with that for most of the first season, but the way they portrayed Cleopatra clearly has me concerned.

One thing I would look forward to is a bit more attention to some battle sequences (wouldn't a mock Actium be incredible, especially considering it was truly a relatively small scale battle.. though with major consequences). I'm afraid I doubt the budget will be there for such things especially considering the show almost didn't survive a second season.

A NAVAL battle might be possible quite easily with CGI.

But I think their style is now established - battles are suggested rather than shown. Given Octavian's tendency to be absent from battlefields, I suppose they might use that as the excuse - and show things through his eyes.

Incidentally, I'll be interested to see who they have to play Agrippa and Maecenas. I don't think we saw either before did we?

I wonder two whether the same lad will continue to play Octavian? He was good as the young Octavian, but could be a little immature (physically and emotionally) for a performance to work as the man grows older.

Phil

In addition to the old familiar set of characters, we should get to meet Livia at some point. Can't wait to see how they depict her!

I hope as PP says we get the grubby politics kept in , as opposed to heading for the cutting room floor as they did in series 1 here.Yes and more properly researched ccmbat even if small scale.

I don't imagine that the next season can end anywhere before Actium.

PP: Crassus was a little dead when the first season started. :rolleyes: