UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Primus Pilus

Hbo Rome Second Season

Merely to say I second Phil's remarks here. The Forsyte saga is a good analogy, why try and fix it when it can be re-mastered nowadays from a great original?

Both "The Caesars" and "I, Claudius" are well worth buying now, my only "complaint" would be differentiating Freddie Jones from Derek Jacobi (both as Claudius) in terms of quality -I like both!

I suggest that The Caesars is the definitive screen portrayal of Tiberius , interpreted with real gravity.

Personally I would like to see something on Trajan and Hadrian.

That would be a sort of classical "Queer as Folk" would it? :P

Phil25 thanks for the run down. Yet, I would swear that the original was in B&W. I taped it, so now I will have to get them out. Keep in mind that the DVD version could have been 'colored'.

Love Kyra Knightly, but her Pride and Prejudice didn't measure up to the A&E version, in my opinion.

No, it was made in colour. I watched it when originally shown in colour. And the dvd is NOt colourised, I can assure you.

But where did you watch it - in the UK or US? maybe it was shown in B&W where you are?

Phil

No, it was made in colour. I watched it when originally shown in colour. And the dvd is NOt colourised, I can assure you.

But where did you watch it - in the UK or US? maybe it was shown in B&W where you are?

Phil

In the US, but I certainly could be wrong. It would be the first time in my life!

I love I Claudius, but you have to admit that Brian Blessed is completely wrong for the part of Augustus. According the sources (namely Suetonius), Augustus was fragile, slender human being, with a subtle approach to being Princeps. Mr Blessed on the other hand is quite the opposite: loud, theatrical and overemotional.

However, because of the over-the-top, thespianic manner in which Brian Blessed plays Augustus, it is hard to hate his character.

Plus you gotta hand it to him, he is the best person in the world at saying who he is...

'I'M BRIAN BLESSED!'

Edited by WotWotius

The original I Claudius was most excellently casted and directed. Congrats Brits!

Ave Citizens,

I heard the other day that ROME copped 4 Emmy awards. Thats some good news to announce from the Rostrum, courtesy of the Caelian Bakers Guild, Real Roman Bread, for Real Romans! Why doesn't HBO print that on a t-shirt!

p.s.- I'm currently in Taipei where they are running Rome here heavily cut for sex and nudity.. It's pretty chopped up, it's a shame people can't see the whole thing. I blame Cato for this whole censorship thing!

Speaking of editing, the other day I saw a program on The History Channel, 'Roman Vice'. Really pretty good. 50 minutes of commercials and inane 'questions'; 70 minutes of show. Blurred images thrilled me. The services of Cairo Central Casting was employed for the thespians. The intelligence that Julius Caesar 'conquered' Britain, was related to the masses. Naturally, this pleased me no end. Don't those folks with all the letters after their names, pay any attention to their work? Self respect? Or just do it; put the coins into your purse and have done with it?

It probably will be re-run once again. Take it in if possibe.

I saw that Roman Vice documentary and I agree. I knew a freelance writer who has done work for the History Channel. He said lately there is a definite emphasis from management ( Time Warner, I believe) on dumbing down copy to the level of the reality-show loving masses. They are worried about ratings and how to get more viewers. If you come to them with a topic they will be overly dependant upon still art over archival footage, forget it. So don't look forward to seeing any shows on the Gracchi or the Hanseatic League in the near future.

Remember when the The Learning Channel ran real documentaries and Bravo ran concerts and operas?

Now, If we could only get Paris Hilton to do the bio of Julia Augusta..?

Edited by Plautus

That would be a sort of classical "Queer as Folk" would it? :(

More , "Carry on Up the Toga".

Now, If we could only get Paris Hilton to do the bio of Julia Augusta..?

I always thought Clodia would be perfectly played by Miss Hilton.

Cato has logic.

Come to think of it, we could still get Paris Hilton cast as Antony's corrupt and vile wife. Never in history has a woman had such bad taste in men. Thus, who could be better cast in that role than the supremely tasteless Paris Hilton?

BTW, the women in the ROME series really are almost uniformly wicked. It would have been nice to see the heroine Porcia as a counter-weight to Servilia and Atia.

A digression. For those of all y'all in the WLIW (Channel 21) viewing area, there will shortly be a travelogue about Roman Ravenna and San Vitali. No commercials.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

"I, Claudius" is engaging and dramatic and should be part of any Roman buff's collection.

I do hope HBO and BBC find superb actors / writers if they expect to top the original series. I'm sure there are plenty of actors out there who can fit the various roles but the question always boils down to affordability and of course, time, since this kind of a production entails serious commitment on the part of the actors, who need to be dedicated to their roles.

I agree with the comment about "battles" - we don't really need to spend a whole lot of money on battles, since this is bound to be incredibly expensive and could derail the entire production as a single battle scene of a few minutes (without CGI) involves weeks, if not months of planning, pre-production, construction of sets, scouting of locations, etc. etc. - Spend the money instead on getting the best actors you can (for your budget) and hire a team of experienced historians / writers who can bring this era to life in a way that can modern audiences can relate to. I think "Rome" did an excellent job in that regard and the overall production was very modern, with crisp dialogue and scenes that were filled with dramatic intensity, as the tension was quite palpable between the characters.