UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Primus Pilus

Hbo Rome Second Season

The sense I get reading the episode discussions is that "Rome" is slowly degenerating from a historical drama embellished by soap opera elements to a soap opera embellished by historical elements.

The sense I get reading the episode discussions is that "Rome" is slowly degenerating from a historical drama embellished by soap opera elements to a soap opera embellished by historical elements.

Yes, an accurate description. However, so far I am still enjoying it. Who knows what my perception will be by the end.

I'm looking forward to the new series. I've been avoiding the other threads about series 2 just in case I come across any spoilers. From the activity that seems to be on this section of the forum, I'm guessing series 2 is shaping up to be just as good as the first one.

When in the name of Dis is it coming to British TV????

Spot on. In the last episode, I couldn't find a single historical event of any consequence whatever.

Sadly true. They've always "skipped" over the main historical events, but the first season always showed us peripheral events and had strong lead ins and good conclusions (like Pharsalus, which wasn't really shown). We still saw history.

In this case, we see short scenes with the historical figures acting as transitions between the character drama. I'm hoping that they're just building towards the later conflict and that these brief moments are engineered to be "teasers" for what's to come rather than being the new direction of the show.

The DVD is now available for pre-order on Amazon.

I do not wish to spend $66 on it. However, if the producers are reading this, I would give it the most kindly review possible in exchange for a free copy. :rolleyes:

I just watched the final episode and I enjoyed this season more then the last. I thought that the historical accuracy was suspect (as with the first season) and the sexual elements too graphic and frequent, but the drama was more interesting and the cinematography was also better this time.

Excellent review from Ursus on Season 2. I have nothing to add to his erudition - beyond my horror that this debacle has actually been nominated for 'Best TV Series' at the BAFTAs. Although this is perhaps because it was conspicuously ignored the first time round. Still - as Ursus says in his review - it deserves some recognition for the sets and one or two first-rate performances.

I doubt that it will beat 'Life on Mars' however - but we will see. There's also very stiff competition from Jimmy McGovern's 'The Street'. It's a good job it's in the 'Series' category rather than the 'Serial' because it wouldn't get near the superlative 'Cranford', which has recently totally restored my faith in the BBC. And interestingly enough, young Simon Woods turned up in that as a really lovely Dr. Harrison.

Edited by The Augusta

Although I also agree with Ursus on this review, I can't help but love it when Octavian sticks it to Marc Antony concerning the affair within the family. It escapes me what episode it was, but the actor that portrayed Octavian did a WONDERFUL job in that scene. Such a Badass.

Most enjoyable review Ursus. The DVD is falling in price all the time , I saw it in ASDA the other week (blushes in shame) , im sure it will fall further in price and I will hang on till it hits the bargain bins. Shame, I bought series 1 as soon as I could get it. I do have to add though I think that the props and sets are tremendous, the veracity is not disturbed by the inanimate parts of the series (no quips regarding the actors please).

Most enjoyable review Ursus. The DVD is falling in price all the time , I saw it in ASDA the other week (blushes in shame) , im sure it will fall further in price and I will hang on till it hits the bargain bins. Shame, I bought series 1 as soon as I could get it. I do have to add though I think that the props and sets are tremendous, the veracity is not disturbed by the inanimate parts of the series (no quips regarding the actors please).

Having had a little thought about the amount of money the BBC poured into this venture, I think it may well be viewed more favourably at the BAFTAs because of that. As you say, the sets were out of this world, and many people seemed to be entertained. I am sure these latter two things, together with the enormous budget, have secured its nomination. And it is no doubt nominated for its run of BOTH series, rather than just the one. But as I say, it is up against some very stiff opposition. We shall have to see. April 20th everyone. I'm sure we in the UK will keep everyone posted as to 'Rome's' fate.

I promised a quick update re. the BAFTA awards. As we expected, 'Rome' could not fight off the competition. Jimmy McGovern's excellent series 'The Street' proved far too strong and was, in my opinion, a very worthy winner. I guess money and sets were not enough after all.

I promised a quick update re. the BAFTA awards. As we expected, 'Rome' could not fight off the competition. Jimmy McGovern's excellent series 'The Street' proved far too strong and was, in my opinion, a very worthy winner. I guess money and sets were not enough after all.

How much awards (if any) did it win Augusta?