UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hbo Rome Second Season

Primus Pilus

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello.... all. B)

This is my first post, despite that I have been lurking on this site on for years... :ph34r:

The New series is airing in the US at this very moment no doubt. Anyone know the release date for us here in the UK?

If the difference in the airing times between hbo and bbc for the first series are anything to go it'll be at least

3 months...

These are the airing dates of the first episode of the first series..

August 28, 2005 (HBO)

November 2, 2005

Welcome to the Boards Kieronus! :ph34r:

Your right about that. I've checked several websites, and despite the fact that they have no definate airing-dates, all of them point towards a March showing on the BBC. I also hope that they won't be heavily editing this series. If they do it will probably be until september/october till it's released on DVD, so we can see it uncut.

Ok , mambers are suggesting the link with venus-birthgiver in this thread:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showto...amp;#entry53320

I suspect that this linked thread will be the focus of debate given the very positive posts here.

Ill keep an eye on both threads and try and meld posts as appropriate , so we dont get a scatter of debate.

Please continue to post dear friends!

To all our US cousins who saw last night's...... I have just read a review in the New York Times. The review led me to understand that Simon Woods has already taken over as Octavian? Is this so? I'm sure my English brothers and sisters will forgive me for asking - after all it hardly counts as a spoiler.

Any info will be glady received - even if in a PM.

Edited by The Augusta

Yeah, he has to grow up. Still, I hope that Max plays him until the beginning of the triumvirate. He was only 19 when he was consul, after all, I'm sure he could pull that off!

I suppose that if this season is going to Actium then he'll have to grow up. It had better, because Phillipi just won't cut it. I want to my namesake born in 39. :D

Moved Posts Notice...

I moved several posts that were specifically discussing the details of episode 1 to the Passover thread that Pertinax eluded to earlier.

Just trying to avoid spoiling things for our friends overseas (and those of without HBO). Please do continue to discuss the series in a generic fashion here though...

I have to disagree with you. In order to film and create an excellent, and I mean an excellent miniseries like Rome, you need a time-frame to make sure you film a full year's worth of episodes. I disagree also, that this years season will make or break the show. Rome the series is excellent for people who want to have an idea as how the Roman's lived. It also allows us the audience to get involved in a way as if we are part of the roman lfestyle, politics and so forth.

Though this is similar to posting above I thought I post it in their FAQ they now have it listed to come back in 2007 and production is starting this March

http://www.hbo.com/corpinfo/faq/romefaq.shtml

When does Rome air?

Rome Season 1 has completed. However, Season 1 will re-air beginning December 26.

Visit the Online Schedule for full details.

Will there be a second season of Rome?

Rome has been renewed for a second season. Production of the 12-episode second season will begin next March, with the debut set for 2007.

Is Rome season 1 available on DVD?

Plans have not yet been announced for the release of Rome Season 1 on DVD.

One issue that I always felt hurt HBO is the timespan is usually very long especially for a TV show. It really has to have a superb following such as Sopranos to pull it off. Some complaints from friensds who watch other HBO series, say it so long they forget all about it or what happened and hard for them to get back in. I understand it takes a long itme to produce these shows but too bad they could not speed it up a bit.

I do beleive though this season is a make it or break it...by third or fourth episode if it does not pick up to what they want, probbaly be last season, I hope not.

Yes, I think so too. It would add a touch of authenticity to Antony's taunts about 'the boy'. There must have been astonishment in Rome when he made himself consul at such a young age, and that may well be conveyed better with such a young actor.

I agree. And he's been absolutely fantastic so far. Not to get into the details of this season, but he seems even more perfect than he was in the first. He has a real fire in him and a sort of zeal too. He still seems very earnest, but there's a sudden deadly seriousness to him too.

Though I have to say my favorite portrayal of him was in The October Horse by Colleen McCoullough.

I worry about this too. There are only two more episodes after the Philippi one - according to the schedules. Although we must get past the Treaty of Tarentum and the repealing of the Proscriptions, as my namesake is in the last two episodes. So, rest easy, Julia - I am sure we will see you born! :ph34r:

Only two after Philippi? Ohh, why must things be so close. I am torn--I suppose it's good this season is chronologically slower than the first, but only if they get renewed for a third. Otherwise it's for nought.

But yes, giving the timing of the marriage, if we see Livia we'll see me. I guess we can both hope for the same thing, then!

Re the second episode, I again enjoy that Octavian does not have everything thought out. He is definitely "clever like you don't know what," but he is not all knowing and miles ahead of everyone else yet. He is only a "little" ahead, only in some things, and is not quite sure of where he is or where he will end up. I like that portrayal a little better than Colleen McCullough's (her Octavian seemed to be always too sure how everything would play out). Octavian has no self-awareness of the historical inevitability of where his path will lead. That makes the character fresher, more immediate, more real, and more dramatically satisfying.