UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tobias

Spyware

G'day All

Yes it's the old story; My computer has been invaded by Spyware. Now my Windows Security Centre won't leave me alone, and i can barely access UNRV. I wonder if anyone can help me in any way; with links to anti spyware downloads etc. I'd appreciate it greatly, as this is a brand new computer, and it's already almost unusuable :rolleyes:

That's the quandry. I know that most of things you have to buy are made by those who actually make the spyware, and it's hard to decide what to do.

In conjunction with this problem, if any posts appear on this site that don't seem like they're by me (i.e. abusive, ill spelt etc.) please pm me, as it probably means that this confounded chap with the Spyware has got the password to my UNRV account.

Edited by Tobias

G'day All

Yes it's the old story; My computer has been invaded by Spyware. Now my Windows Security Centre won't leave me alone, and i can barely access UNRV. I wonder if anyone can help me in any way; with links to anti spyware downloads etc. I'd appreciate it greatly, as this is a brand new computer, and it's already almost unusuable :rolleyes:

You shouldn't have to pay for an anti-spyware program. There are two excellent free ones out there you should download now--

Spybot and AdAware. Once you download them run the updates and then scan your system. Have both on your system as they each tend to catch things the other doesn't. Also download WinPatrol and install it. It's a great program that alerts you when something is trying to install itself in your system. Do you have a firewall? If not then you need to get one now, try Sygate, it's free for personal use.

Let me know how it goes.

Do you use Mozzilla Firefox ?its a lot better at stopping the spyware and popups than IE.

Do you use Mozzilla Firefox ?its a lot better at stopping the spyware and popups than IE.

Good catch. I'm spoiled by Firefox, I've got it configured to with my own extensions. I still use IE for some pages and XP updates and I've seen IE 7, which has tabs like FF does.

Yes, switch to firefox, then I second the recommendation of Adaware and Spybot. Use them first and see how your system is doing after that.

I third the recommendation. You might also scan your PC with Rootkit Revealer. The download link is at the bottom of the page, but I'd also recommend reading the information.

I 4th it-you can also get "CC cleaner" with the "ad-aware freebies". I run both and they keep the place clean.

To All Repliers- thanks very much mates :)

I'm taking action right now as i type this post; i want this spyware out of my system.

To answer a few questions; i already had AdAware SE installed, and have recently installed Spybot. Unfortunately, the system is still infected. I am now converting to firefox though, and i can only hope that all will end well, because until now i never realised how much a part of my life UNRV had become :)

Alea Iacta est!

Unfortunately, the system is still infected.

What antivirus are you using? Norton for instance classifies certain "data miners" and spywares as potential viral infections so running a scan with Adware won't be enough in that case, you will still get the "infection" message. (lol I'm reinventing the English language :)..). If so posting the name of the file detected as a potential threat might be more useful, that way I could tell you exactly what type of threat you're dealing with and hopefully an appropriate measure.

Edited by Silentium

Being a PC Tech at a university I come up against spyware daily. 90% of my calls are spyware related.

I've used spybot and adaware on my home pc for that last...god I dont know 5+ years maybe. And I have no problems. The key is to use that immunization tool with spybot. Download them, update them, immunize, then reboot in safe mode. Turn off System Restore, and run both programs (alot of the stuff hides in the system restore). For the really stuburn ones (winfixer 2005) you'll need to jump into your registery and clean it out manually.

Well, deleting the wrong file in the registry could be dangerous, especially if you don't know what to delete, that's the reason why I suggested to post the name of the suspicious file before doing anything..not to mention that the most insidious of these spywares -if not removed quickly- can even block your access to the registry keys to prevent you from deleting them...so annoying =|

Edited by Silentium