UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Calixtlahuaca Head

Viggen

It looks somewhat Roman, but I'm sure you can find all sorts of cross cultural examples of art without any actual contact of civilizations. The artists are after all individuals, and perhaps what you see is just an individual breaking from the mold. Artists tend to do that. :)

I've read that they narrowed it down even further because the hairstyle was popular during Septimius Severus' reign.

I personally think it's a genuine old world article that made it across the pond either by successive 'blind' trade hand offs or as a direct gift by some unknown ancient envoy to America... Though, if it was option 2, why would it have taken 1300 years to end up in a tomb?

"The fact that all of the modern American nations are a result --in different degrees--, of the cultural and biological symbiosis between the populations of the Old World and Pre-Hispanic America, makes the search for the beginnings of this transcendental and still ongoing process an anthropological exercise that does not lack either sense or relevance.

It looks rather Hellenic to me-small items of a durable nature could I assume travel far over a long period of time by sheer inadvertence, even to the remotest of cultures. As to its late inhumation -could it have been a prized "foreign" antique of great value?

• 2 weeks later...

Err, I am somewhat of an amateur artist (I think I have showed my stuff in after hours). I always laugh whan I see something like this. Much like the "The Pharoahs were aliens. Look at the statues! They are aliens!"

Art is not a science. In fact, it's more of an art. The outcome depends entirely on the ability and whim of the artist. This head having a Romanesque hairstyle is pure coincidence imo. Stranger things have happened.

edit / that statement I wrote seems rather absolute, and I could be very wrong (in particular, the lack of facial hair in south american tribes is a definate stumbling block). The analogy to the alien Pharoahs is a bit out of place too, since that scenario is plainly impossible, but stil, I think it's coincidence.

Edited by Trajen

• 2 weeks later...
Err, I am somewhat of an amateur artist (I think I have showed my stuff in after hours). I always laugh whan I see something like this. Much like the "The Pharoahs were aliens. Look at the statues! They are aliens!"

Art is not a science. In fact, it's more of an art. The outcome depends entirely on the ability and whim of the artist. This head having a Romanesque hairstyle is pure coincidence imo. Stranger things have happened.

edit / that statement I wrote seems rather absolute, and I could be very wrong (in particular, the lack of facial hair in south american tribes is a definate stumbling block). The analogy to the alien Pharoahs is a bit out of place too, since that scenario is plainly impossible, but stil, I think it's coincidence.

The "flotsam and jetsom" explanation is attractive given the present conventional wisdom about contacts with mezo-America pre-Colombus.

But I do wonder whether the future may hold some surprises. The Azteca "expected" the return of a "White God" - so some early contact might not be ruled out.

Also there are interesting developments about travel to north America pre-Colombus, not only by Vikings, but also by the Templars.

While I currently incline towards a conservative view on contacts, this head (if a genuine find in the context given) may be an indication that "there are more things in heaven and earth" than we dream of.

Phil