UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Lost Artifacts

Pertinax

Welcome Ti Coruncanius, and well done with those nominations, given that our first rule was one nomination per member can you give a reason for either of these to take precedence over the other?

if you find it too painful to decide I will make the call

Edited by Pertinax

Ok Marcellinus' is on the list-this shows my bias toward information from the Imperial period. B)

There are so many to choose from, I'd say-

Tacitus' lost works (The Germanic wars, Nero etc)

The Collosus, or the statue of Nero from the Golden house

Constantine's sarcophagus, complete with 12 apostles -

http://www.biblicalarcheology.net/Diggings...7sPorphyry.html

Edited by Viggen

In an effort to resusitate this thread, I'm going to cheat and offer another...

It would be quite excellent if the Sacred Kistai (chest) containing the Ta Hiera ('sacred things') of the Eleusian Mysteries was actually found...

I accept this noble activity-please dont neglect Favonius' thread also.

There are so many to choose from, I'd say-

Constantine's sarcophagus, complete with 12 apostles - http://www.biblicalarcheology.net/Diggings...;sPorphyry.html

As you named Tacitus first Ill add that to the list! unless you have a clear favourite.

Constantine's sarcophagus, complete with 12 apostles - http://www.biblicalarcheology.net/Diggings...;sPorphyry.html

As you named Tacitus first Ill add that to the list! unless you have a clear favourite.

I'll pick the Collosus of Rhodes for mine(it was one of the seven wonders after all

;) ).

Edited by Princeps

Has no one said the Sybil books from the oracle at Cumae that were suppose to tell the future of Rome that were only consulted in times of dire peril. Its a shame, when the Romans finaly bought them from the Oracle, most of them were already gone. They were kept under the temple of saturn but were unfortunatly destroyed durring a fire.

Has no one said the Sybil books from the oracle at Cumae that were suppose to tell the future of Rome that were only consulted in times of dire peril. Its a shame, when the Romans finaly bought them from the Oracle, most of them were already gone. They were kept under the temple of saturn but were unfortunatly destroyed durring a fire.

Somewhere in the three inter related threads they have been mentioned , but I will add them to this list.Pl;ease do not worry at this stage if you consider some things to be in the "wrong " place , we willl have learned debate about this if we move towards a complete top twenty.

Dont forget the other two associated lists!

I'll second the nomination for the lost works of Aristotle. Last Europe re-discovered Aristotle (thanks to Albertus Magnus), Europe started hard and fast upon the renaissance. Who knows what a second round of Aristotle could do? Perhaps wake her from her relativist slumber?

But, since I'm only seconding Aristotle, I still get one true nomination--Cicero's Pro Cato, which has been totally lost and would help set the record straight on why "Victrix causa diis placuit sed victa Catoni--The conquering cause pleased the gods but the conquered cause pleased Cato" (Lucan, Pharsalia).

In an effort to resusitate this thread, I'm going to cheat and offer another...

It would be quite excellent if the Sacred Kistai (chest) containing the Ta Hiera ('sacred things') of the Eleusian Mysteries was actually found...

To add my justification:

"For it appears to me that among the many exceptional and divine things your Athens has produced and contributed to human life, nothing is better than those Mysteries. For by means of them we have been transformed from a rough and savage way of life to the state of humanity, and have been civilized. Just as they are called initiations, so in actual fact we have learned from them the fundamentals of life, and have grasped the basis not only for living with joy but also for dying with a better hope..." - Marcus, in Cicero, De leibus, 2.14.36

I'll second the nomination for the lost works of Aristotle. Last Europe re-discovered Aristotle (thanks to Albertus Magnus), Europe started hard and fast upon the renaissance. Who knows what a second round of Aristotle could do? Perhaps wake her from her relativist slumber?

But, since I'm only seconding Aristotle, I still get one true nomination--Cicero's Pro Cato, which has been totally lost and would help set the record straight on why "Victrix causa diis placuit sed victa Catoni--The conquering cause pleased the gods but the conquered cause pleased Cato" (Lucan, Pharsalia).

Ah good, a perceptive "modern" inclusion if I dare say so another very useful suggestion

.And nice throwaway line on relatavism!

Pantagathus' reasoning gives us a solid justification for what is overlooked as a critical spiritual/cultural artifact.

Edited by Pertinax