UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
M. Porcius Cato

The Gallic Wars

Allow me just to say that perhaps in your eyes it wasn't justified. Personally I think the lasting enmity between Celt and Roman was more than justification enough, regardless of any existing level of threat at that moment in time.

By that logic, the Third Punic War was also justified, as would any war between former adversaries.

Personally, I don't think 'enmity' or any emotion is sufficient justification for war. Without further foreign policy objectives at stake, a state that goes to war based on its feelings is like a toddler with an army.

Allow me just to say that perhaps in your eyes it wasn't justified. Personally I think the lasting enmity between Celt and Roman was more than justification enough, regardless of any existing level of threat at that moment in time.

By that logic, the Third Punic War was also justified, as would any war between former adversaries.

Personally, I don't think 'enmity' or any emotion is sufficient justification for war. Without further foreign policy objectives at stake, a state that goes to war based on its feelings is like a toddler with an army.

Suffice to say that we have a difference of opinion on the matter :D

Answers thus far seem to have either concentrated on the immediate context of Caesar's conquest or on whether expansion into northern Europe precipitated the Germanic invasions of the later Roman Empire. This appears to miss a key point. Claudius' inclusion of Gauls in the senate, his road building program in the province and the archaeology that shows that outside of Asia Gaul was the wealthiest province in the empire, shows that Gaul was one of the few provinces that was not a drain on resources in the long run. In addition a large proportion of the auxiliary contingents of the army were drawn either from Gaul or from tribes only just across the Rhine (Batavians, Tungrians etc), making the Rhine and Danube provinces net contributors to the army.

It would be foolish to suggest that this was a benefit Caesar foresaw when he launched his politically motivated invasions (better than forestry control), but when considering Gaul, it is important to look at these factors. Incidentally Gaul's importance and wealth is amply illustrated by Vespasian and his legates' decision to stir up dissention in the region to destablise Vitellius: they knew the potential strength of the area.

Good one Ulpii.

I'll add this quote Gwyn Morgan, from his book (69AD).

...Gaul was the richest province in the west

You really cannot compair Spain or North Africa with Gaul. Scipio left Spain when he accomplished his goal of removing the Carthaginians and the whole penninsula wasn't 'pacified' until Augustus.

Just for the record, I wasn't comparing the legitimacy or warfare, only making a point that blaming one event alone on the ultimate fall of the empire (when it happened 500 years before the collapse of the west) is failing to take into account all the events that led up to it, and all those that may have occured as a result or in spite of its occurence. If that makes sense :huh:

[edit]At any rate, though it may seem to some I am a supporter of Caesar, I am for the most part neutral on the matter. I just respond in such a manner when I feel that issues in the ancient world are being labelled in a context of modern morality. If that's not the case I apologize, its sometimes just a vibe that I pick up. :huh:

Primus pilus, you seemed to be one of the top dogs if you like on this website, therfore you must know the rules exstensively. I have a couple of questions id like to ask concerning these and would be grateful if you would take the time to answer them.

1) Why do i have to provide a link to a site that i copied information from and how do i create a url in my post to link to that site.

2) Do i have to provide a link or can i just give credit to the site, like typing at the end of a post where the information was retrieved.

3) Is it forbidden to copy information from a source and place it in a post. Im not the fastest typer in the world and sometimes its easier to copy from other sources to provide answers to people who need answers. If i am too tired to type up a post from scratch or if it would take me too long, i dont see the crime in copying from a source with good intentions at heart.

Edited by mquish

mquish mquish mquish :-

1) Why do i have to provide a link to a site that i copied information from and how do i create a url in my post to link to that site.

You don't have to provide a link, but must give credit where due, but you can post a link by using the "insert link" button (next to the underlined A, the globe of the earth with the white loop on it)

2) Do i have to provide a link or can i just give credit to the site, like typing at the end of a post where the information was retrieved.

You can just give credit by pasting the URL and naming the source.

3) Is it forbidden to copy information from a source and place it in a post. Just because i copy something from my own off internet source or indeed an internet source doesnt mean i dont know anything about that topic. Im not the fastest typer in the world and i feel strongly on providing answers to people who need answers. If i am too tired to type up a post from scratch, i dont see the crime in copying from a source with good intentions at heart.

Your good intentions are noted, and you can certainly post information from another website, but, if you copy something from a website or other source and paste it in a post, CREDIT IT. If you use a source without giving the source credit - you are committing Plagiarism.

In future, if you have questions of this nature - don't hijack a thread like this - just reply to my PM, or send one yourself to one of the moderating team. - (To find out who they are hit the My assistant link next to the View new post link).

Now Mquish, let that be an end to it. All further communication regarding these matters will be by personal message from you, or you will be placed on moderated status.

And let me just add that nobody is required to credit every single source they use in every single post. Its just when that information is copied from another web site that I think its a fair gesture and an act of good faith.

I missed this before (and apologies for slight irrelevance)

Caesar v. SPQR might have been the greatest legal case in the history of the world.

Except of course it would have been Cato vs Caesar, a private prosecution, as all prosecutions were brought privately. I agree with the sentiment though.