UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Asterix And Obelix

Asterix and Obelix is a comic series from France and very popular in Europe it started in the late 50s and it is about a gallic village during the times of Caesars conquest (well most of the time) it is very funny and thought my american friends that never heard of it are interested to know that there is a comic set in roman times...

The setting:

The year is 50 B.C.Gaul is entirely occupied by the Romans. Well, not entirely... One small village of indomitable Gauls still holds out against the invaders. And life is not easy for the Roman legionaries who garrison the fortified camps of Totorum, Aquarium, Laudanum and Compendium...

Some infos about Asterix

http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~janl/ts/asterix.html

and here a good site in english about Asterix

http://www.asterix.co.nz/

cheers

viggen

I've read them all, in my childhood. The representation of Julius Caesar is particularly funny. The comics all start with a picture of Vercingetorix laying his arms at Caesars feet - you've got to see the picture.

Caesars expression is priceless, and all the hot water drinking in Britain is very amusing.

Just outside Paris, France there is a theme park dedicated to Asterix and gang. I haven't been yet but hopefully will get to it the next time I'm in the area with the wife and kids. I hear it's a rather nice place for families.

As far as I recall Gerard Depardieu appeared in a movie about Asterix And Obelix.

It was a movie, but also a large animation series.

Actually I know them mostly from the animation. It was funny.

I've read all the Asterix comics when I was young. It's a fantastic series and I'm encouraging my daughter to read them as well, as it does give you some history and is also entertaining and quite funny. Brutus especially is quite amusing as he's always with a knife in his hand, ready to stab Caesar, who doesn't notice his murderous intentions. The fights with the gladiators are hilarious and Obelix, because of his super strength (from a magic potion), just smacks them around.

And if all Druids were like Getafix, no wonder the Romans wanted them suppressed :ph34r:

And if all Druids were like Getafix, no wonder the Romans wanted them suppressed ;)

Long after I did French at school, but long before I came to live in France, the Asterix books (the original French editions) were useful to me in learning more conversational French. Apart from all the historical jokes and mock-Latin, there is a lot of good French in them too -- and not the kind of French you used to be taught at school.

The English translations are very cleverly done, but naturally the jokes and puns are often different -- you can't usually translate jokes literally.

And if all Druids were like Getafix, no wonder the Romans wanted them suppressed ;)

Long after I did French at school, but long before I came to live in France, the Asterix books (the original French editions) were useful to me in learning more conversational French. Apart from all the historical jokes and mock-Latin, there is a lot of good French in them too -- and not the kind of French you used to be taught at school.

The English translations are very cleverly done, but naturally the jokes and puns are often different -- you can't usually translate jokes literally.

Andrew, is it possible to get the comics in Ireland. I lived in France for over 5 years when I was younger - I am now nearly 49 - and I have read almost all the Piere Tomal comics, absolutely hilarious stuff. But if it's possible the get Asterix And Obelix then I'd be made up. My kids would love them too.

Or it is also possible to buy from amazon.fr -- they'll deliver to Ireland, and you're in the euro zone so payment will be simple. Start here and type Goscinny Uderzo Asterix (or whatever) in the search box. Notice that you get English titles along with the French, so choose carefully! Yes, kids who know some French do enjoy them, I can confirm ...

The Spanish versions (done in Castilian dialect) are equally punny and funny...and I love using them to teach the past tense. I got introduce to them very late, but they are so cleverly done!