UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Name Your Own Roman Epic

Plautus

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Box-office bonanza. Casting ideas, anybody?

Audrey Hepburn--after "The Nun's Story," it's typecasting.

The Nun's Story was my inspiration! But Audrey (one of the greatest) is dead. x_x

Do we have any actresses today like her? I can't think of a single one.

Audrey was at her best in this film--probably b/c it was such a great screenplay with such a great director (Zinneman, who did High Noon, another classic).

I'd also like to see a movie about Quintus Sertorius and his rebellion against Rome. Also a movie about the Catilline Conspiracy (probably with that as the title) would make good viewing too.

I agree. Sertorius would be my next choice for a movie; a war hero who wins the corona graminea, a military genius, gos up against Pompeius Magnus and wipes the floor with him, a weird talismanic relationship with a young female deer.... even the betrayal that ends his life would be entertaining, especially if Pompeius were to execute his betrayers after the fact.

Hot stuff!

-- Nephele

Thanks, Nepele. :)

I've been looking through these posts - it's a great wishlist! I'm not sure that all of the ideas would be taken up though, but I really like the SPQR one, but I think again that this sort of thing would make a good series - a la "Rome."

I'm surprised not to have seen Pyrrhus of Epirus in the lists. He's great fodder for a mini-series, I reckon - his story has it all - he even gets killed in battle (albeit rather unheroically, but thems the breaks).

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Reign of Trajan, following an equestrian tribune as he rises from prefect of a cohort in the Dacian Wars to Praetorian Prefect by the Partian Campaign.

Not to mention the 127 days of games and celebration in 107 and all the wonderful things Trajan did.

Would be awesome and give the viewers a depiction of their "Lorica Segmentata" Roman army.

• 2 weeks later...
Hot stuff!

-- Nephele

Thanks, Nepele. :suprise:

I've been looking through these posts - it's a great wishlist! I'm not sure that all of the ideas would be taken up though, but I really like the SPQR one, but I think again that this sort of thing would make a good series - a la "Rome."

I'm surprised not to have seen Pyrrhus of Epirus in the lists. He's great fodder for a mini-series, I reckon - his story has it all - he even gets killed in battle (albeit rather unheroically, but thems the breaks).

Russ

That's a brilliant idea. I would like to see a film about Pyrrhus...his life was heroic, tragic and often funny. It would make for a good film, although it would be very difficult to market. I suppose that's why we see a dozen movies an tv shows on Caesar or Cleopatra (they are great, and relativily well known stories), but none on the other periods of Greco-Roman history, as well the other civilisations of the Ancient World.

Persoanlly, I'd like to see a Epirean Phalanx facing Rome in battle on the big screen.

How about a film about the life of Aurelian? His reign would be perfect for a film. I mean he in just five years he crushed two rival usurper kindoms and united the empire. His only repayment was his murder...

Here's what a pitch for the film could sound like:

-(spoken in a very deep voise) At a time when Rome was at its darkest moment, her empire crumbling at its sides, her emperors being desposed of at ever moment, it seemed like no-one would help the once mighty empire...enter Aurelian, the 'restor of the world'.

wouldn't it be great to see the war against Zenoba on the silver screen.

I hasten to agree with you on that one, and I was reading through the replies to see if Aurelian was put up as a possibility. I

• 3 months later...

Now, I know that the first Gallic Siege of Rome is subject to much dispute, but if someone took the Livy version, Camillus in his grand charge at the end and all, it would make a great, if not historically accurate story. We need more public support for the early Republic.

Salve, Amici.

I would like a thriller focused on the last day of the Republic: the Trial of the proconsul Marcus Primus, with the consul AT Varro Murena defending him against Octavius/Augustus on DCCXXXI AUC / 23 bc; a crucial moment with enough historical information to know that a whole world was being superseded by another, and enough mistery to let the fiction work.

"Of all the Nerva!" (The story of the fall of the Flavian Dynasty)

"The Patrician Magicians" (a comedy starring Penn and Teller as ancient con men)

I'd pay money to see both those movies.

How about...

Juvenal's Delinquents: The story of the late 1st century C.E. Roman poet who proposed the enforced teaching of Latin to Rome's barbarian youth, to keep them off the streets and out of trouble.

Oh, wait... That somehow has a modern ring to it...

-- Nephele