UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Name Your Own Roman Epic

Plautus

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can make a movie on it, but I doubt Romanophiles would want to see a movie where the greatest empire on Earth fall which is why movies tend to portray the invincible Roman army thing.

Why not, we've endured two epic films highlighting the 'beginning of the decline' under Commodus... 'Gladiator' and 'Fall of the Roman Empire', a film showing the debauchery of Nero 'Quo Vadis, one showing Rome as an evil anti human slave master (Spartacus), another similar depiction of Rome as an oppressive master (Ben Hur) a terrible soft *or* on 'Caligula' and countless films both good and bad highlighting the fall of the Republic. I don't mind watching any period, provided its well done.

Speaking of unique time periods, does anyone recall an obscure Italian epic made in the 1960's called THE LAST ROMAN. It takes place during the Byzantine-Ostrogoth battles for Rome. Lawrence Harvey as a late empire senator who wants to bring back the empire. Orson Welles is Justinian, Sylvia Koscina is Theodora, Michael Dunn the famous little person actor is Narses, I forgot who played Belisarius. At the end the Goths look like the goodguys.

I think one of the great missed opportunities was the Burton/Taylor Cleopatra-Burton had the best voice of his generation and a fearsome presence, Harrison is not far off as Caesar ( I dont think Hind's is either) ,the film looks wonderful in parts but its just too much ham to stay afloat at Actium.

At the risk of bringing up a guy who is more Byzantine than Roman, I would pick Heraclius. He brought the Empire back from the brink against the Persians. He was brave and heroic. And in the end, all of his dreams of restoring the empire disappeared before his eyes as the Muslims advanced against his armies.

In this story you have drama, action and tragedy. Thats not a bad combination.

Also, a story about Julian could be very good. If it were written well, there could be a really nice sense of ironic humor in many places as well as the obligatory action scenes.

Perhaps it be better to focus on an actual seperation like the Gallic Empire created in 260 AD, which lasted for almost 20 years and included Britian and Belgica. The one you speak of was more of saying they were going to break off rather than any real force behind it.

How about "The Last Pictii Show?" :bag:

I think they should make a movie about Cicero's valiant defense of the Republic and democracy over the Empire he knew was to come, the end of it could be caesar taking position as dictator, with his parade into Rome.

That would be exciting, be a good movie in terms of complexity, not be romanticized (little opertunity with Cicero's firm Republican values) and action, there would have to be a scene with the seige at brundisium, the faithful old senators sailing out of italy as the city is sacked ashore.