UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ursus

Which Cultures Would You Like To See Discussed?

Culture Poll  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which cultures should receive more attention?

• Greece/Hellenic
    • The Celts
    • The Germans
    • Egypt
    • Carthaginian & Phoenician
    • Non-Roman Italic peoples
    • The Peoples of Asia Minor and the Balkans
    • Hebrews and other Semites
    • Babylonian and Sumerian
    • Other (please explain)

What cultures really interest you and deserve discussion on the forum Peregrini?

(They must be related to the Roman Empire. Aztecs do not count, nor does China despite the Silk Trade)

Celts, due to my heritaige.

Im with Trajen-but-Picts and Scotti as well.

I have a growing interest in the Celts as well. I suppose the Romano-British would be the most relevant topic for our purposes. Anyone with expertise in the area is strongly encouraged to post articles or book reviews.

I dont think, that we should highlight a tribe in extra. Because the terms that you gave out, Ursus, are that they should have a link to Rome and the Romans. So i think, that when we discuss Roman trade or wars with one of these tribes, the highlighting of that tribe will come automatically. For Example, The topic: The Gallic Wars. i think, that there, we can highlight Celtic Culture.(personally, i think the celts are the least that need a highlight) apart from the fact that there isnt much to highlight on the Celts, except that they fought their battles naked with just Blue Paint motives (topic :war paint), that they lost every war (not battle) that they fought against ancient tribes till the Vikings(topic:Wars) and that they had Druids as spiritual leaders (topic:Religion).There isnt anything to highlight about the celts.

If a tribe needs an extra Highlight it should be a tribe that we have alot of false misconceptions about, and need a clear up. Such as The Huns.

Edited by LEG X EQ

I really really wish we would talk more about Germanics; after all, no other peoples made a bigger impact (from Imperial times at least) on the Roman Empire than them...

regards

viggen

Personaly, I think that i can't vote on any one becuase every culture mentioned had at one point or another a impact of Roman civilization. Personaly, I think that Greece, while incredibly interesting, has very clear and non-discussable influences on Roman culture, while other cultures, such as the arabics and egyptians have clear influences as well as controversal and indepth. But certainly there is no way to tell becuase Rome is situated in the middle of all these and was influenced by all of them, so no single civilization deserves more discussion than the other

P.S

I am not sure what the text means, I'm not sure that it is even Latin, it is taken from an inscription on a sword, I assume it reffers to some sort of punishment.

I beleive it might be refering to Castration, but I'll need clarification.

Edited by Sextus Roscius

Yep, my names (both of 'em) are definately linked to Irish Gaelic, as well as Nordic. Check out your origins here-

http://www.ancestorhunt.com/family-coat-of-arms.htm

Thanks to Longbow for providing that link, my dad will love that.

None, the only thing I care about is Rome. Of course we can't exclusively talk about Rome/Romans because of the inclusiveness of roman society and its willingness to adopt ideas etc....But I only care about things roman.

I voted for Celts. It is difficult to imagine Romans without their everlasting opponent.

I really really wish we would talk more about Germanics; after all, no other peoples made a bigger impact (from Imperial times at least) on the Roman Empire than them...

regards

viggen

A great point. I suggest one of the book give-a-ways in the near future focus on the Germans in the late Roman Empire. That way a Patrician can write an essay on the subject for the benefit of the site.

I said other because I would like to see more study on the people of North Africa both as they became more Romanized and then later as they became less Romanized.

Its sad, but I think this area of Roman studies gets entirely too little attention. What made this people distinctive from other Romans in terms of art and economic activity? What drove their intense religous passions? Why were they able to rise up to such a level of economic prosperity and then never really recover after the Vandal invasion?

I feel there is such a large body of study here and I wish there were more books available that really explored the culture and the history of the North African people before, during & after the Roman years.

A good point as well, DanM. Interesting to think that North Africans were more Romanized than British or North Gallish.

But I think the very lack of research on the subject discourages intelligent discussion. :-/