UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ursus

Which Cultures Would You Like To See Discussed?

Culture Poll  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which cultures should receive more attention?

• Greece/Hellenic
    • The Celts
    • The Germans
    • Egypt
    • Carthaginian & Phoenician
    • Non-Roman Italic peoples
    • The Peoples of Asia Minor and the Balkans
    • Hebrews and other Semites
    • Babylonian and Sumerian
    • Other (please explain)

As a note to those who find little use for this forum, certainly we don't want it to be the focus of the site. However, I believe these discussions are useful to appreciate the broader cultural and political realities of the world that helped forge the Roman Empire.

I am also hoping people with related interests - Hellenophiles, Etruscanophiles, Romano-Celts - will be drawn to the site, though admittedly we have not had much luck in this regard.

As a note to those who find little use for this forum, certainly we don't want it to be the focus of the site. However, I believe these discussions are useful to appreciate the broader cultural and political realities of the world that helped forge the Roman Empire.

I am also hoping people with related interests - Hellenophiles, Etruscanophiles, Romano-Celts - will be drawn to the site, though admittedly we have not had much luck in this regard.

And certainly since over time the Roman Empire became a hegemony of many sub-cultures; discussion of the many elements of the ancient world is not without merit.

You can't deal with Rome in a vaccum and expect to understand the 'whys' that spurned it to greatness.

Guest Faustus Thrax

I would definately like to see the Sarmatians discussed, as it is quite elusive. There are no real records of Slavic peoples before 800-900 AD that amke any sense, and I would like to see where and how my nation of heritage came about, which is Poland.

I'm just wondering, what would islands like Malta in the Mediterranean fall under? I'm interested in Malta because of its Crusader roots and wonder if any classical culture thrived on it back then.

Me to. I think that it was jsut a carthaginian colony nothing much though...

I voted for the Babylonians and the Sumerians because they fascinate me, and they're also the cultures i know least about. It would be very interesting to see how they link to the Romans.

A tribe not mentioned that i wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about is the Scythians. I know very little about them, and would be interested in seeing a bit more discussion of them.

I voted for the Babylonians...

I have a Babylon story for you.

First look at the picture of Saddam's Palace. Ok, ignore the rubber chicken for humor in the picture. The chicken is sitting on the ruins of Babylon. That's Saddam's palace on the artificial hill in the background. At the corner closest to the ruins--light on the left corner of the palace and shaded on the right corner--at the bottom floor was where I set up my living quarters. Here is a better look at it. I would walk out every morning and shave outside on the corner looking over the ruins of Babylon.

In the picture notice what looks like the river behind the palace, it isn't. It was the original location of the Euphrates when the city existed. The Euphrates is now five miles west of this site so Saddam had a deep canal built to replicate it's location.

This is the view looking down from my outside corner of the palace, the rebuilt portion behind the ruins was done on Saddam's orders. They gathered up precious archeological remains and used them to rebuild a replica right next to the ruins. What a shame.

The Greeks and Italic tribes influenced the Romans greatly of course but perhaps the greastes population group of the Empire was the Celts...so they deserve more time. Also, the people occupying much of north Italy at the time were the Celts..they were there before the Romans! The Germans were perhaps a large population group too...but they had a large poplulace outside too but the Belagae area had the Germanic groups that were the most feared among the Germans and they were part of the Roman empire too. Judea,north Africa did not. Iberean pennsula I am not too sure about in terms of population, so I give it to the Celts.

And the winner is ... Celts. Any of you Romano-British fans want to start something ongoing?

Runner up: The Greeks. Anyone want to take this topic on?

And the winner is ... Celts. Any of you Romano-British fans want to start something ongoing?

Runner up: The Greeks. Anyone want to take this topic on?

I will, I'd like to think my knowledge of Classical, (but especially Hellenistic), history is quite sound, though not 100% thorough.

Should I just start off, or do you wish to suggest a starting point?

Whatever tickles your fancy, Neos. :-) Feel free to start a thread on the Forum Peregrini at anything that comes to mind.

And thanks, btw!

the rebuilt portion behind the ruins was done on Saddam's orders. They gathered up precious archeological remains and used them to rebuild a replica right next to the ruins. What a shame.

Was it at least historicaly acurate?

I heard of an Italic tribe that gave the Romans fits and later on there was a famous Roman quote about them' 'Do not got to war against the macri or without them'. I think that was their name anyway. My vote.