UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ursus

Which Cultures Would You Like To See Discussed?

Culture Poll  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which cultures should receive more attention?

• Greece/Hellenic
    • The Celts
    • The Germans
    • Egypt
    • Carthaginian & Phoenician
    • Non-Roman Italic peoples
    • The Peoples of Asia Minor and the Balkans
    • Hebrews and other Semites
    • Babylonian and Sumerian
    • Other (please explain)

i would find it interesting to find out more about the Sumerians. I heard that their language is totally unique with no connections to ant ancient or modern day languages!! :D

i would find it interesting to find out more about the Sumerians. I heard that their language is totally unique with no connections to ant ancient or modern day languages!! :D

None recorded. It obviously came from something somewhere.

The Hellenes are theoretically the most popular culture on this forum. Because of that, a special subforum has been created for their benefit.

As the site grows, the Triumviri may create other subfolders for a given culture. The Celts are currently the obvious choice for future growth.

The Carthaginians were once so powerful and their infantry has never been explained to me, I know of roman legionaries and gallic cavalry, british chariots and barbarian warband. Also I would like to know more about Asia Minor, especially Pergamum adn Phrygia.

Purely from a personal point of view, I find the Parthians fascinating and would love to learn more about them. Am I the only one? :(

Possibly, Augusta, but it's all good. Maybe someday someone who has knowledge in the area will start a discussion now that you have expressed an interest.

I'm most interested in "Celtic" culture, or rather, indigineous European culture not part of the Meditteranean sphere ... everything from the Britons, the Gauls, the Alpine groups (Norici, Cisalpine Gauls etc), the Celtiberians and Iberians, the culture of Denmark which produced the Gundestrup Cauldron ... etc

I'm most interested in "Celtic" culture, or rather, indigineous European culture not part of the Meditteranean sphere ... everything from the Britons, the Gauls, the Alpine groups (Norici, Cisalpine Gauls etc), the Celtiberians and Iberians, the culture of Denmark which produced the Gundestrup Cauldron ... etc

Hail and Welcome, edgewaters. Feel free to start any threads on those topics.

As of this writing the Hellenes are in the lead (with their own subfolder, which actually does not witness as much activity as its leading position on the poll would suggest).

The Celts are second. Perhaps we could lump in the Germans and other "native" peoples of non Mediterranean Europe with the Celts to form a large group, as edgewater suggested. These groups are most keenly discussed when our dedicated UK contigent discuss Roman Britain.

Finally, the Semitic peoples are in third, stemming apparently from the fascination of the war with Hannibal.

Thoughtful musings on any of the above are always appreciated.

Thoughtful musings on any of the above are always appreciated.

Would it be a stretch to add Semitic and Egypt together and make a Middle East subforum? Including Persians, Sumerians, Phoenician, Hitites, Assyrians, Egyptians, etc.

It's up to the Triumviri, RtG. It largely depends on if such topics receive the activity to justify a new subfolder. I think a Near East subfolder in the future wouldn't be a bad idea if activity in that area increases.

It's up to the Triumviri, RtG. It largely depends on if such topics receive the activity to justify a new subfolder. I think a Near East subfolder in the future wouldn't be a bad idea if activity in that area increases.

I agree, there must be interest. I just loved the idea of merging Germans and Celts into a subforum, that was a great idea.

Edited by Rameses the Great