UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ursus

Which Cultures Would You Like To See Discussed?

Culture Poll  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which cultures should receive more attention?

• Greece/Hellenic
    • The Celts
    • The Germans
    • Egypt
    • Carthaginian & Phoenician
    • Non-Roman Italic peoples
    • The Peoples of Asia Minor and the Balkans
    • Hebrews and other Semites
    • Babylonian and Sumerian
    • Other (please explain)

I personally would like to hear some information about the nubian kingdom in Africa,all i know about it is

the Egyptians fought several pitched battles with them in southern Egypt.

P.S i am a new member to your forum.

Definately the Scandinavian cultures - Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Iceland in the Viking Age and before (back to 700 BC) - for example the Svear, Goths, Jutes, Danes, and Cimbri (contrary to popular belief, the Cimbri actually originally named Jutland (Cimbrica Chersonesus), where I live - before it became known as it is today.

Definately the Scandinavian cultures - Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Iceland in the Viking Age and before (back to 700 BC) - for example the Svear, Goths, Jutes, Danes, and Cimbri (contrary to popular belief, the Cimbri actually originally named Jutland (Cimbrica Chersonesus), where I live - before it became known as it is today.

The Scandanavian cultures are a bit off topic for the forum, though.

Here in the forum peregrini we try to discuss cultures that had a direct impact on Rome. The Goths, Saxons and Franks would be on topic given their importance to the later empire, but the Swedish and Norwegians would be much less so.

Well, at least in the case of the Jutes or Cimbri, Ursus. There have been a rather great number of roman artifacts discovered here in my neck of the woods - as well as a tale of Jutes who acted as scouts for one of the Legions.

While it's debatable as to whether these Jutes were actual Danes or Germans, that's where it gets hazy, since we've traded boundaries so many times.

I thought danes used to be germans long time ago.

If I had a "smote" button here... :angry:;)

No, actually, the peoples that lived in Sweden and Norway migrated south into Jutland. Although there have been people living here since about 12,500 BC, they weren't called Danes until about the year 1 AD to 400 AD. Before then, not even Danes are sure what they were really called - but it's thought that they were decendants of a Northern Germanic (not German) tribe called the Daner.

That's why that although Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, and Icelandic are all very nearly the same language, Danish is a wee closer to the original German.

Etruscans?

Of course but I guess when the poll was originally set up they were to be considered as part of the "Non-Roman Italic People" ;)

Oh? OK. :angry:

As a general notice, UNRV does accept book reviews and articles on the cultures discussed here at the Forum Peregrini. If someone has a tome on the Ancient Greeks, ancient Celts and Germans, etc, that they would like to review, please submit it to the site for consideration. Thanks.

PS. Yes, the Etruscans count as "non-Roman Italians." I can't imagine another culture more relevant to Roman history. I would love to see more discussions on them.

I thought danes used to be germans long time ago.

If I had a "smote" button here... ;);)

Hehe :lol: not a germanophile it seems.

I have to disagree with you. Northern Germanic means ones of the brunches of German and not a different thing. A subgroup in a group. The theory goes that part of the goths migrated from Scandinavia to Prusia, then to Ukraine, ending in the empire. A part of them remained in Scandinavia and the islands hence many goth place names (Goteborg, Gotland etc). So, either goths were not germans (doh! :o ) or they were unrelated to "the peoples that lived in Sweden and Norway migrated south into Jutland" (despite themselves living in Scandinavia). My bet is at 1 AD there was no significant difference between germans and their northern neighbours and a serious differentiation took place much later.

But I guess that we are a little of topic here and we should continue the discussion at the appropriate place the GERMAN subforum. :lol:

Now I'm heading to the mountains for cover :blink:

Edited by Kosmo

I have a renewed interest in Ancient Egypt. Expect to see some Egyptian, Greco-Egyptian and Romano-Egyptian posts from yours truly.

I am going to rise my hand for the Iranian peoples, Parthians and Sassanides (I suppose they are not covered in the "Asia Minor" section), as they were presumably the only unsurpassable neighbour state for our kids.

I have already posted in this, but i would love to know more about and see Illyria discussed more.

vtc

oh yeah, a few more discussions on the cisalpine gauls wouldn't go amiss :)

vtc