UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
backfire22

Vedas And Rome

Certainly during the Hellenistic era the Greeks that settled in areas like Bactria and other areas beyond the Oxus must have come into contact with the Hindu religion of the Indians or at least at some understanding of their Vedic mythology. Did the knowledge of this relgion diffuse accross Asia to reach Rome? Did it influence the Bactrians or the Seleucids at all? What about Buddhism, I had heard that one of the Greco-Bactrian rulers had convereted to Buddhism.

The Vedic peoples and the Italians were both offshoots of an older Indo-European society. You can see certain similarities in those cultures and religions as they had a common ancestor.

There was a collision of Buddhism with one of the Hellenistic states near India. That Hellenistic state did not last long, so there was little chance of Buddhism penetrating the Greco-Roman conscious. Though, arguably, aspects of Stoicism are similar to Buddhism.

The Vedic civilization hasnt got anything to do with the Italic civilization, i dont know what similarities you are reffering to, but maybe you can inform me.

The Italics dont have the same ancestors as the Vedics, because they come from to different zones, the Italics come from Central euope and the vendics from North India!

The Italic Language is close to Celtic Languages, there was even a common language called Italo-Celtic. The Sabellic tribes,(sabines-faliscans-latinians) where of Indo Germanic stock, and had mostly Blond hair and blue eyes.

The Italics

The Vedic civilization hasnt got anything to do with the Italic civilization, i dont know what similarities you are reffering to, but maybe you can inform me.

The Italics dont have the same ancestors as the Vedics, because they come from to different zones, the Italics come from Central euope and the vendics from North India!

The Italic Language is close to Celtic Languages, there was even a common language called Italo-Celtic. The Sabellic tribes,(sabines-faliscans-latinians) where of Indo Germanic stock, and had mostly Blond hair and blue eyes.

The Italics

Excuse me, I get your first passage, but i dont get your second passage, where you connect Aryans and Italics.

Again, what do you link between Italics and Vedics, their religion Hindu, is marked by Anthropomorphism, while the Italics worshiped Animals Rivers and various weather gods, but without a face or body,Anthropomorphism took place in Italic religion in the 600 bc.

so again on what do you link Italics and vedics?

Further more it is commonly believed that Aryans originated from Bactria.

And the Theory that Aryans were the Ancestors of Europe is just a Theory.

Edited by LEG X EQ

Excuse me, I get your first passage, but i dont get your second passage, where you connect Aryans and Italics.

Again, what do you link between Italics and Vedics, their religion Hindu, is marked by Anthropomorphism, while the Italics worshiped Animals Rivers and various weather gods, but without a face or body,Anthropomorphism took place in Italic religion in the 600 bc.

so again on what do you link Italics and vedics?

I was just pointing out that there was a connection. Since the Italic people are from people in central europe, and the Aryan people came from central/eastern europe the likelyhood is that the two cultures originated from the same group of people who settled in europe originaly and so would have a common ancestor, just incredibly far back.

Also, I ask for your second paragraph that your try to reword. All the comas through me off and its made a hard time for me to understand it. I can't figure out what you are relating to what. Thank you.

Ok, we are having a little bit of bad timing, i just edited a new passage.

I am German and english is not my mother tongue, so i apologize for the mistakes.

I was reffering to the fact, that their religion Hindu, is marked by Anthropomorphism.

While the Italic Religion is not, its based on the worship of Animals,Rivers, and several gods who are not Anthropomorphised.

Further more it is commonly believed that Aryans originated from Bactria.

And the Theory that Aryans were the Ancestors of Europe is just a Theory.

"I was just pointing out that there was a connection"

Yes, but on what facts.

Edited by LEG X EQ

All these theories, but which one is closer to the truth. Hey, we could be all wrong, just look at the Caucasus origin theory. Oh, while watching the history channel, I came upon a good documentary about the Nazi's trying to prove their Aryan origins. The Nazi's made a few good correlations in physical features, but it was eventually all falsified so they wouldn't get killed by Hitler by presenting unwanted truths.

Hinduism evolved out of the older Vedic religion. The Vedic religion had much in common with other Indo-European Religions including:

1) a special religious caste, like the Celtic Druids or Roman Flamines

2) An emphasis on natural spirits

3) the sacrifice of animals

The people who practiced the Vedic religion were an offshoot of the Indo-Aryans, who were themselves offshoots of the proto-Indo-Europeans.

Yes, the theory that that all Indo-Europeans have an ultimate ancestor is just a theory, but it's one that has quite a bit of linguistic and cultural evidence. Really, I don't think the general thrust of the theory is debated so much as some of the various specific details and competing theories.

Again, I can only recommend _In Search of the Indo-Europeans_ by Mallory as a good starting point for all this.

The Italics

@Pantagathus

I dont think that what i wrote is false, and its all based on facts. The only thing that is :romansoldier: Quetionable is if the Vedics originated from outside of India or not. That question has only speculated answers. So all of my post is based on facts.

If you have other facts, than state them. And i am not talking about theories like the similarity of Chariot building or that Eire(ireland) is a link to Indo-Iranian Aryan or others of JP Mallory or Max M

The only thing that is :romansoldier: Quetionable is if the Vedics originated from outside of India or not.

Anatolia-Iran; The Vedas are an Eastern evolution of the teachings of Zarathustra (Zoroastrian Religion) which has roots in the end of the neolithic period...

Well, than i dont know why we argued in the first place, because you have stated yourself that the Vedics and italics(and the rest of the ancient-europeans) come from 2 different places. So what was the Point? I wrote the vedics from North-India because they had their golden age there.

I''m really not commenting on the African- Japanese topic. It's a separate issue from this topic which I really don't care about one way or another.

What I gave you, Leg, is just scratching the surface. It's difficult to summarize a lengthy theory in a few sentences. Nevertheless it's a theory that's being hashed out in academic circles. If you are conversant with the theory and dismiss it, that's one thing. Since you don't seem to be conversant with the theory, I merely suggested a good textbook for your own edification.

Whether you read it or not is your own affair. But dismissing a widespread academic theory wholesale without bothering to explore it is, as Pantagathus implied, a bit over the top.