UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Suggestion

Elect two consuls monthly from the senate (which I don't think is created). These two consuls would be responsible for researching one aspect/subject indepth and making a post, then having the subject scrutinized by the said members of the senate.

Thoughts/additions?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very interesting prospect Clodius. Perhaps the senate could be made up of patrician and equestrian volunteers. We could have elections. What a lovely prospect. That way people could use the senate to vote on changes rather than the tres imperators deciding everything. But once again, just a tought.

As my avatar suggests, I am in full support of this movement.

Not a bad idea at all but of course sometimes the best laid book review plans of mice and men go astray.The excitement of partisan election campaigns might be stirring though!

We already have a "Senate." Members who make outstanding contributions are nominated by the Triumvirs to the rank of Patrician. The Patricians have a private forum. They are honored with monthly book give-a-ways. They have the privilege of discussion with the administration and moderating team. And new moderators are drawn from their ranks as needed.

As I see it, this is not really needed. Those who can make special contributions can continue to do so without being elected by their peers. Those who have earned the distinction will become Patricians and are entitled to the honor due senior members.

I've always felt that Primus Pilus and Viggin were the Consuls while Moonlapse is, uh, Proconsul of the technical province.

And before anyone mentions it, I don't think we need Tribunes either. Plebians though some of you are, you're hardly oppressed. :lol:

A valid point, but so few are patricians. While I think that your system is well justified, I think we could benefit from a broader range of ideas.

It would mix the newer players with the older players. That way we can know what the site looks like to the different groups rather than a particular one. I think that way the people could have their say effectively without any more spartacus revolts. It would keep from the Idea of the government with infinite wisedom. While I have full confidence in the mods and Triumvirate, I think democracy is great, and websites shouldn't have exceptions.

Edited by Sextus Roscius

But what exactly do you want this increased "democracy" for? I don't think members need to be elected with a title to lead the forums on some subject in which they have an interest or expertise.

And what does Spartacus have to do with this? He was banned for repeated examples of extreme lack of etiquette. If we had put it to a vote the site membership at large would have banned him a long time before the Triumvirs finally did, as unpopular as he was.

Certainly not Ursus, but I think it would keep the group of people who's ideas are certainly considered priority from getting stale. Our Admin is incredibly inteligent and I think this would allow a much easier way of seeing wether or not the populus agrees with their ideas. I'm just musing here, and I suppose I've gotten off on a bit of a tangent. All I'm saying is that Admin, while smart and wise, still may not think the most people on a subject, and that would be another way for people to be upgraded. Also, the Admin ultimatly would have control over who was and was not in the Senate so to speak.

Sorry to have gotten a bit to far on the subject but I'm just putting ideas on the table and it could be decided how extreme to go or not to go at all. But while were speaking hypotheticaly I see no need to hold back ideas that come to my head on the matter.

Edited by Sextus Roscius

I do like the idea of using titles to give members an incentive to contribute. We've proven that by doing it already with the various forum titles and membership groups. So keep talking about various ideas until we come up with something that is agreeable by all.

One thing to note though. I've never wanted UNRV to mimic a recreated Roman society. As long as the titles are in good fun and rewards for contributions to the overall site/community, I'm all for it, but I've never wanted to be Nova Roma. This place is for discussion of ancient Rome, regardless of whether or not anyone wants to 're-enact' Roman society. So just keep that in mind as we throw ideas of the wall.

May I suggest a reorganization of heirarchy. Seems that Ursus and Germanicus should be Censors, the admins triumvirs, and the rest of us (those say with 100 posts for example) be made senators. We elect consuls as previously stated but they don't do just book reviews, the subject matter could be anything related to our passion (and no, I'm not talking *or* ;-0). The elected have a month to prepare their indepth thesis then post it for their peers to critique. And I don't mean 1 sentence answers but carefully prepared rebuttles. Thoughts!!!

I do like the idea of using titles to give members an incentive to contribute. We've proven that by doing it already with the various forum titles and membership groups. So keep talking about various ideas until we come up with something that is agreeable by all.

One thing to note though. I've never wanted UNRV to mimic a recreated Roman society. As long as the titles are in good fun and rewards for contributions to the overall site/community, I'm all for it, but I've never wanted to be Nova Roma. This place is for discussion of ancient Rome, regardless of whether or not anyone wants to 're-enact' Roman society. So just keep that in mind as we throw ideas of the wall.

Then perhaps the members "senate" could give out honorary titles to people they beleive have made contributions. Those would be temorary. So a person gets a reward in some way with that title and has it for a month or so then the senate selects a new one. A good way to reward some one for a series of particularly idea sparking posts etc. Keep away fromt he Roman re-enactment idea.

As for those taken to the members "senate" could be chosen by the admin or it could just simply be a particular class group. The unfortunate problem with that is that the patricians are very small and it wouldn't be as interesting, and the equestrians and patricians (or the equestrians themselves) are too large a group. I'll work on some ideas further, but I think this is a step towards a selection out of some of the more extreme ideas I put out in previous posts.

After posting I've seen that is seems Clodius has brainstormed some already

May I suggest a reorganization of heirarchy. Seems that Ursus and Germanicus should be Censors, the admins triumvirs, and the rest of us (those say with 100 posts for example) be made senators. We elect consuls as previously stated but they don't do just book reviews, the subject matter could be anything related to our passion (and no, I'm not talking *or* ;-0). The elected have a month to prepare their indepth thesis then post it for their peers to critique. And I don't mean 1 sentence answers but carefully prepared rebuttles. Thoughts!!!

Your idea is a solution to my delema, but I think doing it off amount of posts would be rediculous. It would make anyone who cared to post alot ,without putting much content into it, and filtering all those posts for value would simply take forever. Perhaps the original senate would be selected by our Admin and then the senate (along with the admin) could begin to select its own members who were considered to be quality contributers. Thoughts?

Edited by Sextus Roscius

Yes I do like that Clodius. As we've been manipulating various post titles I've been thinking that the military titles for post count don't really fit anymore. Additionally, this is a thing that Viggen like for some reason, but I don't like that only people who do 'book reviews' can be members of the patrician order. Anyone who contributes something of value (read as quality discussion) should have the opportunity for advanced title. If Viggen wants to reserve the book giveaway for people who have done reviews, thats fine, but I think a shake-up is in order as well. I would also like to somehow turn this into a 'book of the month' thing where other members can receive books as an opportunity to learn rather than just circulating this stuff to the same people over and over. I'll have to investigate some book club ideas (and please do offer suggestions on this as well)

Some of this might not happen until after the holidays as things get hectic as we all... but do please keep discussing.

Senatorial membership shouldn't necessarily have to incude free stuff I don't think, though some of the others may disagree. I think the benefit comes from having to come up with a thesis, then back it up with pros etc...Like a term paper. I for one would welcome the challenge as it would encourage research and broaden the perspective of the consuls and those that chose to respond.

Senatorial membership shouldn't necessarily have to incude free stuff I don't think, though some of the others may disagree. I think the benefit comes from having to come up with a thesis, then back it up with pros etc...Like a term paper. I for one would welcome the challenge as it would encourage research and broaden the perspective of the consuls and those that chose to respond.

Certainly Noble, but there are many perfectly good scholars with great ideas who quite frankly aren't good at writing long papers. I don't think it should be like appling for a job, people should be rewarded for overall good contributions, not a paper. It is impossible to take all of ones ideas and abilities and view them throught a paper.

However I do agree that people wouldn't need free stuff. Part of the benefit is the honor being selected and knowning that you have contributed and help the people of these hallowed webpages.