UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

An Interesting Problem

Sextus Roscius

Ok, so here it is. A rather interesting one (by my standards)

Three men go to a Hotel, they are sharing a large room for $30 total. To even the prices, they each pitch in $10. So they go to their room. Once they are in their room, the manager realizes he charged them too much. The room really only cost $25 and so he went to the men

"There is 2 dollars in the managers pocket. 27 plus 2 equals 29"

The false assumption that the $2 is not already included in the $27 is a distraction. The $2 dollars in the waiter's pocket is a part of the $27 that the hotel now posesses ($25 for the room, plus the $2 kept by the waiter = $27). Trying to differentiate the $2 from the $27 is illogical, only the $3 given back to the three men is different from the $27.

Or you can put it this way (since all this is, is fun with words):

The men gave the Hotel $30, the Hotel gave the men $3 back. 30-3=27 or nine bucks spent each.

The two bucks in the Manager's pocket is a deceptive amount, since the Hotel owner fired him for skimming money... saving not only his salary and benefits but probably filing suit for any money the accountants find missing.

So in reality, the Hotel owner made out like a bandit. ;)

lol I looked at this last night, and I finally figured out but I couldn't for the life of me think of how to explain it :P

Heres one:

You are in a room with two other people. One of these people ALWAYS tells the truth, the other ALWAYS lies. There are no windows in the room, but there are two doors. One door leads to certain freedom, the other leads to instant death. Not knowing which person will tell the truth, what could you ask either person that will ensure your freedom?

Ah, the old chestnut...:P

I ask one of them: " Would the other person in the room with you tell me it is safe to go through that door, yes or no?"

If the answer is "Yes," then go through the other door. If the answer is "No," go through the door you asked about.

Logic: If the person you are talking to lies, they will tell you the opposite of what the truthful person would actually say. Thus: Safe as an answer would be translated to unsafe (No), and unsafe translated to safe (Yes). So, go through the "No" door.

And it follows that the truthful person would repeat the same thing since they would be truthfully stating the lie the other person would give. (Liar would say Safe or "Yes" for unsafe, "No" or unsafe for the really safe one.)

This puzzle used to give me fits... :lol:

Edited by Spurius

Good point, I forgot about the black bears.

I've heard this one before. Its the type of thing my sister would ask me to make me look stupid....

Wait! theres no bears in the south!

Edited by Sextus Roscius

No! I've got it Lost Warrior. Every Direction is south so you are at the north pole, that would make the only bears out there (if they even live taht far north) white! :P

No! I've got it Lost Warrior. Every Direction is south so you are at the north pole, that would make the only bears out there (if they even live taht far north) white! ohmy.gif

Yep :) that's it! Pretty simple when you think about it.

How many of you are familiar with the Sphinx's riddle? "what goes on four legs in the morning, two legs at noon, and three legs at sundown"

Man.

In the morning (at youth) , man crawls on four.

During the day, (middle age), man walks on two legs.

During the evening, (old age), man walks with a cane.

An excellent riddle...

Edit:

Curse you Flavius, you beat me by mere seconds!!!! :)

Edited by Neos Dionysos