UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Ask The Expert

I believe that whether he or another expert comes back depends on how sucessful the session was; is that not correct?

At any rate, i sincerely hope another does come back. Having a certified expert visiting our website is a great idea that i wholeheartedly back. My only regret is that thanks to me being ill and my computer being infected with Spyware at the time, i couldn't get a question to the Professor in time.

Maybe next time...;)

Edited by Tobias

The later empire is not my forte, so I remained silent. I am however very impressed the Triumvirs could organize something like this.

The next time, though, ladies and gentlemen, can we make sure we ask questions that are relevant to the expert's field of study? You'll notice the good doctor spent most of his time politely dismissing inquiries he could not really answer.

But isn't a History Proffesor supposed to know every else..besides his area of expertise?

Zeke

hehe, remember, the prof. used his real name when he posted, and i do believe in academic circles it is not well received to comment on areas you dont have the full expertise...

in my opinion...

regards

viggen

yeah your right Ursus.....I will remember that next time. But isn't a History Proffesor supposed to know every else..besides his area of expertise?

Zeke

It's real tough for Phd's today to spend much time on areas outside their narrow area of study. I've heard my friends who are university profs complain about this often. They spend their Phd studies on a narrow issue, then when they get a teaching position they spend more time writing in the same specialization in order to get enough works published so they can qualify for tenure. In areas outside their specialization they're limited to a few grad courses until their thesis is finished. It doesn't leave a lot of time in their early career for expertise outside of their focus.