UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jugurtha

The Monty Python Thread

Monty Python's 'The Life of Brian' to be re-released

Terry Jones, former Monty Python-ite and director of the 1979 biblical satire "Life of Brian," has something he'd like to say to Mel Gibson.  "I'd like to publicly thank him for giving us this opportunity," said Jones on the phone from his London home, speaking of the re-release of his film in U.S. theaters beginning Friday (in Seattle, at the Neptune). "We are very grateful to Mel. There is a rumor that this is why Mel made 'The Passion of the Christ,' to give us this opportunity."

more at the Seattle Times

Hehe, guess I was right after all!

Funny reference to the Sex Pistols reunion in Jones' reply there if you ask me - intended or not. :)

- JUG

Next year will see the stage's version of the 1975 movie 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' when 'Spamalot' comes to Broadway on February 7th. The play, to be directed by Mike Nichols, is being billed as 'the musical lovingly ripped off from the motion picture'.

The three actors who will play the leads were announced last Wednesday. Tim Curry has been cast as King Arthur, the role played by Graham Chapman in the film. David Hyde Pierce is slated to play the Eric Idle role of Sir Robin Curry; and Hank Azaria is Sir Lancelot, originally portrayed by John Cleese.

Eric Idle wrote the book for the new musical and collaborated with John Du Prez on the music and lyrics. Du Prez's musical credits include the score for the movie 'A Fish Called Wanda'.

more info at Playbill

Ah , the stoning of the blasphemer :ph34r: what innocent joy.

Ah the famous Monty Python scene :P Always appreciated!

heheh, oh yes Life of Brian, what a master piece... as it happens Ursus, did just a wonderful review of Life of Brian - the Immaculate Edition

my favourite scene would be

Brian is given a latin lesson the Monty Python way... :P

CENTURION: Now, write it out a hundred times.

BRIAN: Yes, sir. Thank you, sir. Hail Caesar, sir.

CENTURION: Hail Caesar. If it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off.

cheers

viggen