UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Praetorian Guard

In reading AD69 which I was kindly sent to review, the author Gwyn Morgan uses Tacitus, Suetonius and Plutarch extensively with a heavy emphasis on Tacitus. He mentions the Praetorian Gaurd a lot, and indicates that they were not always the best troops selected from various legions, but that they were often there as part of a "jobs for the boys" scheme. For example - Vitellius promoted created 15 cohorts after becommig Emperor from just 2 legions, and almost all the Legionaries were offered the opportunity. Now of course, it was in his interest to create new gaurds loyal to him, but it does undermine the idea I always had that they were handpicked, crack troops. As does some of his descriptions of their fighting ability. Undeniable is that they were given the best and latest equipment, and many perks. There is an overwhelming feeling in Morgans descriptions that even the greatest military men in the gaurd were "softened" by their city living.

Any thoughts ?

In reading AD69 which I was kindly sent to review, the author Gwyn Morgan uses Tacitus, Suetonius and Plutarch extensively with a heavy emphasis on Tacitus. He mentions the Praetorian Gaurd a lot, and indicates that they were not always the best troops selected from various legions, but that they were often there as part of a "jobs for the boys" scheme. For example - Vitellius promoted created 15 cohorts after becommig Emperor from just 2 legions, and almost all the Legionaries were offered the opportunity. Now of course, it was in his interest to create new gaurds loyal to him, but it does undermine the idea I always had that they were handpicked, crack troops. As does some of his descriptions of their fighting ability. Undeniable is that they were given the best and latest equipment, and many perks. There is an overwhelming feeling in Morgans descriptions that even the greatest military men in the gaurd were "softened" by their city living.

Any thoughts ?

The effectiveness and 'elite' nature of the Praetorians depended completely upon the era, the emperor and even the Praefects. A very simple example... While Marcus Aurelius was battling the Germanics on the Danube and was there in person, so were the Praetorians, but while Nero was playing the part of 'singer of songs' and olympic champion, the Praetorians were more likely getting fat and happy as well. Though, do to fear of idleness, the understanding is that the Praetorian training regimen was quite heavy throughout most of its existence.

As for the idea that they were hand selected troops... There were certainly men promoted for valor and bravery in combat but the idea of this as a continued practice is limited. Each emperor seemingly had their personal military favorites and the selection of Praetorians was based largely on both this and the need to ensure loyalty. Vitellius had increased the guard roles to 16 cohorts or 16,000 presumably loyal men, but understandably when Vespasian ultimately won the war he reduced the guard to its original 9 cohorts... cohorts which were certainly made up of his own loyal men.

I just now read a book about Praetorian Guard. It was writen by Boris Rankov and I can recommend it too.

Praetorian Guard

The Praetorian Guard was formed by the emperor Augustus to help prevent assassins from reaching the emperor and murdering him as Brutus and his companions had murdered Julius Caesar. It was called by that name in imitation of the Praetoria Cohors, or select troop, which attended the person of the praetor or general of the Roman army. This cohort is said to have been first formed by Scipio Africanus out of the bravest troops, whom he exempted from all their duties except guarding his person.

I suggest it was one of the best ideas but the same guards exists in many states in different times.

At first time there were very hard selection for enrolment to Guard but then only good protection can help for it. Nevertheless the Guard was might power in the Imperator's hands but could be a strong independent weapon which can be directed against any Imperator.

Tiberius assembled them all at the great Praetorian Camp (Castra Praetoria) in Rome. In 23 AD this huge and strongly fortified camp was established in the eastern suburbs of the city by their notorious commander, Lucius Aelius Sejanus. Tiberius gradually gave much of his power to Sejanus, the commander of the Praetorian Guard. Sejanus used his position to murder his enemies accusing them of plotting to assassinate the emperor and other acts of treason.

The Praetorians soon became the most powerful body in the state, and like the janissaries at Constantinople, frequently deposed and elevated emperors according to their pleasure. After the Praetorian Guard murdered Caligula they made a significant contribution to the imperial appointment of Claudius who was the first of the Caesars who purchased the submission of the soldiers with money. Even the most powerful of the emperors were obliged to court their favor and they always obtained a liberal donation upon the accession of each emperor.

Well, each Imperator tried to have his own Guard because it was dangerous to use the Guard which was faithful to previous Imperator.

While the Praetorian Guard were certainly crack troops, they were mainly a use for control. A emperor was just as easily protected before they were around, personaly I see no point in having them. Thought they certainly were elite, and the true rulers of Rome in my opinion. They could choose who they wanted Emperor and such. There was nothing to stop them.

Though I don't know much about them in other terms, I think that they were important becuase if a insane Emperor was ruling, they could easily kill him without having to bring in a army or a riot which is certainly good.

Though I don't know much about them in other terms, I think that they were important becuase if a insane Emperor was ruling, they could easily kill him without having to bring in a army or a riot which is certainly good.

They sure did seem to tolerate a lot of crazy emperors though, no?

Seems to me that if the emperor hasn't gone about making mortal enemies by killing people willy-nilly, the lictors and such should have been sufficient protection. Otherwise, who will protect the emperor from his protectors?

Ah yes, the Praetorian Guard... one of the few very well known 'elite' units in history who seemed to cause more damage than protect from it. Plus, who could forget these are the same men who auctioned off the Empire to the highest bidder...

I'd like to argue that the Varangians of Byzantium were far better, (though less known), than the Praetorians, simply because they were actually loyal and did not make or break Emperors.

This is not my area of expertise, but it seems to me most of the emperors that the Praetorians killed were the ones begging for assassination. At least in the beginning.

I find the Praetorians fascinating from the standpoint that as an institution it allowed non-Roman Italians to hold considerable influence over the imperial court. There seem to have been a lot of Etruscans in their ranks, for instance. Is there a good biography of Sejanus out there?

I find the Praetorians fascinating from the standpoint that as an institution it allowed non-Roman Italians to hold considerable influence over the imperial court. There seem to have been a lot of Etruscans in their ranks, for instance.

Interesting. Quick (off-topic) question--for how long were the inhabitants of the fallen Etruscan civilization referred to as "Etruscans"? I mean, if you were to call a modern-day resident of Perugia an "Etruscan", would she be offended, bemused, or simply non-plussed?

Praetorians did not kill off only "crazy" emperors nor did they preserve "good" emperors. The Praetorians made decisions on who ascended to throne judging from their own self-interest and the fullness of their purses. Emperors who did not pay them a hefty donative were at risk of being "removed".

Septimius Severus disbanded the Praetorians because of the instability they caused and their inordinate power they wielded.

P.S. this seems like a great forum, glad I stumbled across it

Matt

Emperors who did not pay them a hefty donative were at risk of being "removed".

Interestingly enough, Galba promised a massive donative when he usurped power, but never came through with the cash. Otho on the other hand, didn't offer anything in the way of a donative, yet the Praetorians were fanatical in the loyalty they showed him.

But yes, I do get your point.

Interesting. Quick (off-topic) question--for how long were the inhabitants of the fallen Etruscan civilization referred to as "Etruscans"? I mean, if you were to call a modern-day resident of Perugia an "Etruscan", would she be offended, bemused, or simply non-plussed?

I think the language is thought to have died out by the late 2d century which is an incredibly quick assimilation. Even the Greek language spoken in southern Italy at the time has survived till this day in a couple of small towns. I don't know about Perugia but I lived in Livorno,Tuscany for three years and I'd say they associate themselves with the Etruscans to some extent. They're considered genetically the closest? contemporary peoples related to the original Etruscans.

• 1 month later...
The Roman Praetorean guard were the best of the best, the best units selected from various Roman legions. So, yes I believe that the Praetorean cohort were the best.

Well there's another misconception. At one time or another they may have been the best, however, when Emperors like Severus came to be, he would just choose is his most 'trusted' and easily pleased soldiers as bodyguards, which really doesn't designate them to be the best. They're just loyal, that's all.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus