UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tobias

The Social War

[
Fine exposition. Part of my family hails from Chieti which was once Teate - the city of the Marrucini, others come from the Abruzzi - Samnite country.

But I am curious why you believe the allies were organized as "manipular legions" as the Romans were. Everything I have seen seems to indicate that the allied troops were organized in cohorts of infantry and turmae of cavalry from each allied community, commanded by their own officers; with the overall command of each of the two "wings" or "alae" assigned to each consular army under a Roman "prefectus sociorum". Polybius says nothing of any organization beyond the alae and the "socii extraordinarii", and Livy's description of the beginning of the battle of Pydna specifically mentions the exploits of a cohort of Paeligni. It also seems that independent cohorts would be useful tactically in many ways, such as garrisons, so that the legions themselves could remain united.

Edited by Pompieus

Okay can some one please help me with this one. I cant seem to find any good sources for the Social War. Plutarch brisks it over quite hasty, Pliny got nothing and neither do Appian. I wold like to know more than just the broad strokes. Which ancient author is my man?

Livy's work in that era is mostly lost, but at least there is the brief Periochae. Frankly, there aren't any good sources.

Too bad, but many thanks for periochae. I'll check it out right away.

EDIT: It was actually very helpfull. Thanks again.

Edited by Gajus of Sweden