UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Varangian Guard

longbow

Thanks for the book suggestions,will check them out :D

Nepal was right above the British possessions in India; it probably even shared borders with British India. It stands to reason that Britain would have had alliances and treaties with Nepal.

The British tried to expand the Empire into Nepal but were repulsed by the Gorkhas,both sides were so impressed with each other's fighting skill and bravery that they formed an alliance.Some history of the conflict.

I dont consider todays Gurkha regiment to be mercenary's,there a well established regiment and an integral part of the British infantry.

• 1 month later...
What a tic matey, i didn't say that it wasn't possible for them to have Roman blood, i was just saying that it was not a great idea to say that the Italians would have more Roman blood then anyone else. Please don't go upsetting people about it lol

As far as genetically proving it, i'm not really in the know about that sort of thing. Bones are pretty much the only thing that can be used to match modern day people to ancient Romans, and mosaics, pictures and verbal and written accounts.

Getting back to the Varangian Guard, i see them as valuable allies to the Byzantines. And it wasn't only a one way street; the Byzantines caused much of the Rus to be converted to christianity through Basil's treaty, and much of Russian architecture is of Byzantine influence. So, the advent of the Varangian Guard not only profited the Byzantines greatly, but it helped to shape Russia through the Byzantine influence on it.

haha.. the Varangian Guard was useful to Byzantium indeed. The Guard were fashioned liked the Praetorian Guards except they did not police the city, nor were they so ineffective at protecting their Emperors. The Varangian Guard was said to have been so loyal to the Emperor and commanded such respect, that often if the Emperor arrived on the field of battle with his Varangian Guard, the enemy would fall discouraged and falter.

As for the history of Russia, it was the daughter of the Byzantine Empire. Russians have often called themselves the "third Rome," and believe that they are the true heirs to the Roman Empire and the Orthodox Church.

Had Russia not been so far away, it surely would've come to Constantinople's aid during the seiges of Mehmet.

• 5 months later...
Why did they go? I figure the answer is as common to all opportunistic soldiers; money, easy life, battle and excitement. Who wants to settle down to England when you can fight for the dirty rich and live the high life?

Who want to settle down to England B),what the hell is that supposed to mean?How about fighting for your home,your family,your people and your land!

Or did they just think to hell with it im off to fight for the Byzantians to get rich!The Saxons were allready rich,England was one of the richest country's in europe at the time.

Edited by longbow

Why did they go? I figure the answer is as common to all opportunistic soldiers; money, easy life, battle and excitement. Who wants to settle down to England when you can fight for the dirty rich and live the high life?

Who want to settle down to England B),what the hell is that supposed to mean?How about fighting for your home,your family,your people and your land!

Or did they just think to hell with it im off to fight for the Byzantians to get rich!The Saxons were allready rich,England was one of the richest country's in europe at the time.

Yes, but it wasn't so comfortable for some Saxons after the Normans had taken over and the resistance had collapsed (which didn't take long). After that, maybe, it was an attractive prospect for certain young able-bodied Saxons, especially from families not in favour with the new rulers, to go and make a living elsewhere as mercenaries.

If you cross over to the AD 43 AD 1066 thread

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showto...amp;#entry39365

I posted as regards Huscarl loyalty as Saxon "hearth troops". I think the two threads might converge sometime soon.

• 2 months later...

I think the Varangians were like the Imperial German guard of the Julio-Claudians, they had no connection to state politics or the culture they existed in...they were foreign mercenaries that were hired by the Emperors to serve them and they depended on them for food, pay, shelter etc

When Nikephoras Phokas was killed his Varangian Guard thought of killing his murderers but seeing as he was already dead they were free from his service and therefore they held back. If they had been present they would have defended their Emperor to the best of their abilities no doubt.

This is slightly off-topic but seeing as the discussion was about foreign troops in employ of some countries, didn't Henry V have a retinue of Welsh archers as his personal bodyguard?

This is slightly off-topic but seeing as the discussion was about foreign troops in employ of some countries, didn't Henry V have a retinue of Welsh archers as his personal bodyguard?

It is neither unusual nor particularly Byzantine that a foreign unit would gain such access and prestige. Augustus himself had a personal guard of Germans, the Collegium Custodum Corporis or Germani Corporis Custodes, to protect himself from the native Praetorians. This guard was revived by Tiberius and continued until Nero.

It is neither unusual nor particularly Byzantine that a foreign unit would gain such access and prestige. Augustus himself had a personal guard of Germans, the Collegium Custodum Corporis or Germani Corporis Custodes, to protect himself from the native Praetorians. This guard was revived by Tiberius and continued until Nero.

And the Persians used Greek mercenaries. And the Pope has a Swiss Guard. And the British Army, and the Indian Army, both have Nepalese (Gurkha) regiments. And the French have (or had) the Foreign Legion. But still off topic, I fear. Sorry.

• 1 month later...