UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Octavian

Vespasion

I honestly cannot see any truth in this. The only possible explanation about it not coming to light before now was that they kept it absolutely from everyone, not the easiest task in a city that delighted hugely in the scandals of Rome.

As Cato said, it just doesn't fit the character of Octavian to have incestuous relations.

Wasn't Augustus said to have liked to deflower young girls (provided for him by Livia)? I think I recall that from Suetonius' smutty book.

Incest seems highly unlikely given what we know of Octavia's charcater. I am slightly surprised at the take the series has on both her and Atia. So far as I was aware both were highly respectable ladies.

But then one of the series few major faults is that it has gone for tittilation with the women. It degrades them on many levels. Servilia may have had a relationship with Caesar, but she was also a great political lady and a formidable political influence in her day. Cicero was clearly in awe of her!! But this is drama - so if Shakespeare can paint poor Richard of Gloucester as a black-dyed villain, I suppose we can allow John Milius a nymphomaniac Servilia and Atia!!

In conclusion, I think that Octavia's incest as well as her lesbian fling are complete fabrications, and wholly imaginary devices on the part of the writers of this series.

Phil