UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
FLavius Valerius Constantinus

The Last Legion (movie)

Thank you DecimusCaesar. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for this. Here in Ireland some movies don't receive too much publicity, at least not to the extent that I get to hear about it. Worst come to the worst then I will simply wait for the DVD release.

Just saw a trailer in the cinema last night. It looks utterly retarded! I'm afraid it will put even Arthur and Troy to shame. And I don't even get what it's about, I mean does he (Augustulus) go on a journey to England or something? Or does Excalibur end up on Capri? Either way, wtf?

Maybe it was just impossible to understand since the trailer was entirely composed of split-second images, but it doesn't bode well. I heard from various people that the book was not that bad, I'm beginning to doubt them.

I've forgotten about this film in recent months. Checking up on it right now, I realise that the release date has been changed from August 28th to September 7th. It doesn't bode well that this film is constantly being delayed, especially when you take to consideration that they finished filming around summer 2006. They even showed previews of the film many months ago - and according to some sources - the feedback was very negative, or just mediocre at best.

If it keeps on getting delayed I can't help but think we might get a straight to video release.

I just saw this movie, as an action movie it's not bad but if you are looking for a story you could try elsewere, the whole story of Caesar magical sword was a shameless ripoff of "King Arthur" and to be honest pretty idiotic.

And of course there is the usuall historical mistakes (like saying that all the emperors were decended of Julius Caear).

I just saw this movie, as an action movie it's not bad but if you are looking for a story you could try elsewere, the whole story of Caesar magical sword was a shameless ripoff of "King Arthur" and to be honest pretty idiotic.

And of course there is the usuall historical mistakes (like saying that all the emperors were decended of Julius Caear).

Yes, I saw some clips of it online somewhere. Aside from the visual appeal, it seems to be pure junk from a historical perspective.

Yes, I saw some clips of it online somewhere. Aside from the visual appeal, it seems to be pure junk from a historical perspective.

I don't suppose you've got a link for the clips you saw have you PP, I wouldn't mind taking a peek to see just how bad it is, I really hope it's not that bad because I thought the book was pretty good.

I don't suppose you've got a link for the clips you saw have you PP, I wouldn't mind taking a peek to see just how bad it is, I really hope it's not that bad because I thought the book was pretty good.

Especially any clips that involve the scrumptious Colin Firth! (Yes - I do have my girly moments!)

Seriously - I see its from a book by Manfredi. I have never read any of this author's works, GPM. Would you recommend the book if not the film?

Edited by The Augusta

I can't find the darn thing, and I think it was quite illegal as it was actually the entire film. I did not post here at the time as I didn't want to propagate piracy :thumbsup:

I enjoyed it more than the travesty that was the 'King Arthur' movie but thats not saying much.

I thought Kevin Mckidd was comical as Wulfila,he should stick to Roman roles,Aishwarya Rai however was a joy to watch (wow,she's pretty) , John Hannah is his usual bumbling self,i allways feel an urge to punch him!

I liked the look of the Roman costumes but the Germans get the standard Barbarian treatment,plenty of Wolf pelts and even Horns on the helmets!

My heart leapt when the Draco's of the 9th Legion came over the Northtumbrian hills only to be dissapointed by the ridiculous way the battle ends just as the Romano Brits get stuck in :angry: .

The Movie's about as good as the book,rubbish.

:thumbsup:

The Augusta,i sent you a PM.

I enjoyed it more than the travesty that was the 'King Arthur' movie but thats not saying much.

I thought Kevin Mckidd was comical as Wulfila,he should stick to Roman roles,Aishwarya Rai however was a joy to watch (wow,she's pretty) , John Hannah is his usual bumbling self,i allways feel an urge to punch him!

I liked the look of the Roman costumes but the Germans get the standard Barbarian treatment,plenty of Wolf pelts and even Horns on the helmets!

My heart leapt when the Draco's of the 9th Legion came over the Northtumbrian hills only to be dissapointed by the ridiculous way the battle ends just as the Romano Brits get stuck in :angry: .

The Movie's about as good as the book,rubbish.

:thumbsup:

The Augusta,i sent you a PM.

I've never seen King Arthur. I'm not sure If I'll have the chance to see this movie.

The fact that it's been delayed for a long time does not usually bode well for the quality of the film. Still, It might end up being a surprise.

I thought the movie will be released in August. How come you guys have seen the movie so soon? Watching it online as PP have said?

Anyway, I've watched the trailer. Quite enjoyable, is it not? But I don't think Colin Firth is suitable for portraying Aurelius. Also the settings, in my opinion, are not really Roman-like.

In the trailer there is a line about Caesar. The word is pronounced as SEE-SAR instead of KAI-SAR. Do you count it as an error?

Especially any clips that involve the scrumptious Colin Firth! (Yes - I do have my girly moments!)

Seriously - I see its from a book by Manfredi. I have never read any of this author's works, GPM. Would you recommend the book if not the film?

I personally enjoyed the book but it's by no means a classic, don't expect much historical fact because if that's what your after then you'll be disappointed but if you want an easy going Roman themed adventure story then it's worth a read.

The same goes for most of Manfredi's work, loosely based on fact but good entertaining rip roaring stories.

The movies now been removed from the site i watched it on,copyright and all that :) .

The film has been released in the US and not surprisingly it was universally panned by the critics. Rotten tomatoes has given the film a rating of 19% based on the collected reviews of the film. It might not be as bad as Alexander which has 14%, so in a way it is more successful than I imagined it would be. It still flopped at the box office - I don't think it's even near the Top Ten.

Has anyone seen it? I'm not even sure if I'd bother seeing it.