UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Novum Comum

Tobias

G'day All

Novum Comum was a colony established by Gaius Julius Caesar at the Western end of Lake Larius, modern day Lake Como. Caesar extended the Roman citizenship to all the inhabitants of Novum Comum. It was generally accepted in this colony that they were now Roman citizens, although they were mainly Gauls. However, whilst Caesar was fighting the wars in Gallia Comata, an chap by the name of Gaius Cladius Marcellus, the consul for that year, ordered one of the "citizens" of this colony to be flogged on the back. Now, whilst a proper Roman citizen may be chastised by a beating with the rods in a lictor's fasces, his back is inviolate from the lash. The flogging of this "citizen" was to send a profound message to Caesar and the people of Novum Comum that they were not, (and would most likely never be whilst the Boni held sway) Roman citizens.

Was Gaius Cladius Marcellus justified in this? Was it just another attack on Julius Caesar? Were the peoples of Novum Comum citizens, even after Caesar gave it to them (which, strictly speaking, he was not authorised to do, although he believed he should be treated equally to Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus, who also established his own colonies)? Where did the "Latin Rights" fit into all this? I appreciate all opinions :)

I don't know much about Novum Comum but awhile go, I wrote something about Pliny and his hometown of Comum. My Webpage

Here's what I said about Pliny's association with the citizens of Comum:

The Most Generous Man in Italy

Note: It is impossible to be sure whether Pliny Minor was the most generous man in Italy because there aren

That's rather interesting Flavous Valerius Constantinus; a great view of Novum Comum. It is somewhat after the time period i am speaking of, however.

I was speaking of the time before Caesar granted the colony citizenship whilst he was dictator; before Caesar marched on Rome and during the Gallic Wars.

That is a very comprehensive account however FVC; they say one learns something new every day :)