UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Economy Of The Byzantine Empire

Zeke

Ah I see. And I am guessing that a quick jump by ship from Constantinople to some port in the eastern Black Sea/Cholchis area would not help at all? It's this corridor I am curious about. After all Trebizund seemed to be able to ike out a decent living in its area, I assumed it had something to do with trade along the Black Sea.

Again, the land on that side of the Black Sea was not necessarily safe (or charted), and another fact is that for much of the time, the Byzantines actually controlled quite a large amount of the Eastern Black Sea coast (Either directly or through client states). The best course to take was through the Byzantine's land - via the Silk Road. If you took precious goods through uncharted and potentially hostile lands, where you weren't necessarily likely to meet protective authorities such as the Byzantine Army, that would seem to me to put the goods at a bit of unnecessary risk.

I hope i'm answering your question properly Favonius, and not just making it worse for you ;)

Edited by Tobias