UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

And You Thought Suetonius Was Bad...

M. Porcius Cato

Wow, the guy who reviewed is...well, pretty perverted and horrible. I mean, look at those comments he made, I doubt they were even about the book.

I believe the reviewer was engaging in a fine example of dry British wit. I was in stitches.

Anyway...

Anyone who wants a proper look at Roman sexuality can read _Roman Sex_ by John R. Clarke. I reviewed this book a while ago. It's a fascinating and visually powerful look at Roman sexual mores and practices in the early empire. Probably the biggest difference between the ancient world and the modern is how we interpret human sexuality.

Im afraid British Irony doesn't translate to the America's too well-was it Churchill who said "Britain and America , two nation's divided by a common language?" . I found the review cutting , scholarly and shrewishly amusing.

Edited by Pertinax

Im afraid British Irony doesn't translate to the America's too well-was it Churchill who said "Britain and America , two nation's divided by a common language?" . I found the review cutting , scholarly and shrewishly amusing.

I suppose humor and conservatism is what also separates us too.

I too find it very well done and applaud the reviewer for calling out the work in question largely for the ahistorical trash that it appears to be.

but...Equestrian wit is universal! :P