UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
R

Romanian...not The Closest To Latin

I'm no linguist, but I don't think anyone stole anything. The languages are similar because they are both grandchildren of a primordial Indo-European tongue.

That would be the correct version, yes (and GO's, too). Latin and (Ancient) Greek are sister languages, and due to their close proximity, there are some lexical borrowings. It's much like comparing English, Dutch and German, and noting that they are all very similar...they have the same parent language!

It's a good story about Decebal and Traian fighting after school. Maybe a good thing that Attila didn't turn up as well ...

Hey, it was just a child play, nothing too serious. Unfortunately, it was no Attila there, because both "powers" was at theyr peak, and we definately decimated the huns hords. :P:(

In my opinion, if you really want to compare a language, choose ancient Greek. After I learned it, I thought the Romans basically stole the Greek language and modified it.

Like others, I don't go with the word "steal" -- maybe you didn't mean it quite literally! Languages are free of copyright! But there's a lot in what you say. It really is true, apart from their status as cognate languages, that Latin "borrowed" or "took" a great deal from Greek, because, especially in the times of the late Republic and early Empire, Greek culture was often seen as superior (in some ways, though not in all ways!). Greece was where you went to complete your education, and to be a really cultured Roman you had to be bilingual in Greek. Therefore words etc. would cross from one language to the other. Modern Greek has quite a lot of Latin loanwords for the same reason.