UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
M. Porcius Cato

Carthage

The Greeks were also known to sacrifice puppies to the goddess Hekate

Those sick f$%^s, whooo, whyyyy?!?! This reminds me of an old college professor I had; it's what happens when society convinces itself of the authority of a group of highly educated pristhood/professors who long divorced from the actions that catapulted thier order into exsistance, one day find thier actions unobstructed.... one day, thier thinking about theology, and they try to rationalize it, but since their so seperated from society and reality they soon lose tract of thier purpose and then suddenly find themselves sacrificing cute little puppies or making Aphrodite the goddess of the sewers.

Those sick f$%^s, whooo, whyyyy?!?! This reminds me of an old college professor I had; it's what happens when society convinces itself of the authority of a group of highly educated pristhood/professors who long divorced from the actions that catapulted thier order into exsistance, one day find thier actions unobstructed.... one day, thier thinking about theology, and they try to rationalize it, but since their so seperated from society and reality they soon lose tract of thier purpose and then suddenly find themselves sacrificing cute little puppies or making Aphrodite the goddess of the sewers.

I don't think there's a word for 'cute' in ancient Greek ... maybe that would help to explain? (Actually it's a difficult word to translate into British English: I suppose 'sweet' would be our nearest.)

When the unrespectable woman (Mary Magdalene or not depending on your Gospel) was talking to Jesus about the pets under the table being allowed to get the crumbs, did she mean 'dogs' or 'puppies'?

Unless your professor was actually sacrificing puppies, I'm not sure how your priests = professors equation is relevant here.

Actually, its easy to dwell on the negative of Carthage and also easy to forget that Rome sacrificed by burying alive a gallic man and woman and a greek man and woman after Cannae. This was the last time this was done but still...Also, the gladiatorial combats were rooted in human sacrifice.

NOt surprising of the puppy sarcrafice, to the Romans dogs were known as the lowest of the low, they were scavengers, dirty, and on more than one occassion interferred with the consular sacrafice of the bull right after the elections occured, just seeing a dog near the sacrifice was seen as extremely bad, and the sacrifice was often redone. And for Cato, where abouts in Chicago are you from, I myself am from Wheaton.

I don't recall Hannibal ever having sacrificed a son. Does anyone else?

I don't think it really happened... I just think Silius was using poetic liscense. But like I said, I'm pretty sure in Punica Hannibal's Spanish wife shipped a son to Carthage to be sacrificed to aid her husband in his endeavors.

I don't recall Hannibal ever having sacrificed a son. Does anyone else?

I don't think it really happened... I just think Silius was using poetic liscense. But like I said, I'm pretty sure in Punica Hannibal's Spanish wife shipped a son to Carthage to be sacrificed to aid her husband in his endeavors.

I thought all the kids went to Spain.

From the Charles-Picard book on child sacrifice:

A baby born in Carthage ran very little more risk of being burnt alive on the day of the mol'k than did a baby in Athens or Rome of being abandoned on some street corner, on a heap of filth, where it was left to the tender mercies of wild animals; or if the best happened, slave-traders might come along and take it.

Another interesting fact from the same book: the Roman greeting Ave is of Phoenician origin.

Another interesting fact from the same book: the Roman greeting Ave is of Phoenician origin.

Funny, i always thought it derived from the Latin termAVERE and Avere meant safe journey and turned into a salute later on.

can you tell me the phoenician word it derives from?

Funny, i always thought it derived from the Latin termAVERE and Avere meant safe journey and turned into a salute later on.

I wish I could, but the authors don't say.

Did you know that Roman slingshots have been found with the words AVE written on them...so they were basically saying 'ave it' to the enemy. Aren't the Romans funny.

I wish I could, but the authors don't say.

There isn't really a verb avere, although Latin speakers tended to turn ave into a verb because its final e makes it sound like an imperative (so they added a plural avete meaning 'hi guys').

The Phoenician derivation is maybe speculative (but someone may correct me here). The Oxford Latin Dictionary says 'possibly a Punic word' (ie Phoenician as spoken in Carthage) but its only evidence is the kind-of-Punic passage in a Plautus play, which isn't strong evidence.