UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Eu Should Fight For Roman Art?

rvmaximus

Many Europeans can clain rights to Roman antquity..not just Italy. The fact reamins that the great majority of ancient Romans were not from the indigineus latin tribes. So why not claim artificts to be European and the EU to something for security and research. Ancient Rome is a Eurpopean thing...not an Italian thing.

So far as Roman remains in Italy are concerned, there may be an historical complication here.

I seem to recall (it's all set out in JJ Deiss's book) that in the early 1900s a group of politicians and world-figures proposed international assistance with the preservation and exploration of at least Herculaneum (possibly pompeii as well). this foundered on misunderstanding and complication, and successive Italian governments have been resistant to outside "interference" in archeaological affairs.

Anyone else know about this. My information may be out of date now.

Phil

Many Europeans can clain rights to Roman antquity..not just Italy. The fact reamins that the great majority of ancient Romans were not from the indigineus latin tribes. So why not claim artificts to be European and the EU to something for security and research. Ancient Rome is a Eurpopean thing...not an Italian thing.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Should Britain hand over control of Hadrian's Wall to the EU or are you actually proposing that it should be dismantled and distributed all over Europe? Or do you mean that just the Italians should have to do this with their heritage?

Whether this thread should be here or not, I'll just observe that Hadrian's Wall is a World Heritage Site.

I don't know too much about the EU, living down here in Australia, but from what i can see, i can't see the EU being the best thing for Roman artifacts.

A great Australian once said that as far as solving problems is concerned, governments and political institutions should be a last resort, not a first option :)