UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Posting Ranks Explained

I'm thoroughly lost now... Where is the rank or Propraetor? I saw that our resident post-slut (not meant to be a derisive comment) Flavius Constantinus is a propraetor and an equestrian, but has over 1000 posts...? Am I just missing something?

I'm thoroughly lost now... Where is the rank or Propraetor? I saw that our resident post-slut (not meant to be a derisive comment) Flavius Constantinus is a propraetor and an equestrian, but has over 1000 posts...? Am I just missing something?

Ahh now I see the confusion that is member groups vs. post ranks. Two separate things.

I wouldn't worry so much about this stuff guys... it's all for fun while just trying to be somewhat reflective of the Roman world.

And I didn't realize that somebody had that many posts.. I'll update the list

Found an error too, Praetor was well out of place.

anyway here goes...

Tiro 1

Miles 10

Imaginifer 25

Optio 50

Signifer 100

Aquilifer 150

Centurio 200

Primus Pilus 250

Tribunus Angusticlavius 300

Senator 400

Tribunus Laticlavius 500

Aedile 600

Quaestor 800

Legatus Legionis 900

Praetor 1000

Propraetor 1100

PP, I'm glad you're adopting the principate thing, I always new you'de come around B) . Maybe Cato will now follow in your footsteps.

PP, I'm glad you're adopting the principate thing, I always new you'de come around B) . Maybe Cato will now follow in your footsteps.

LOL, good luck with that.

The principate just allows the flexibility to make these rather arbitrary decision but still maintain some semblence of historic possibility.

Did Equestrians now become Equites? (Or did that happen a while ago and I just now noticed?)

I skipped right over "senator" (oh well, women couldn't be senators anyway). What is an Aedile?

Edited by Lost_Warrior

You know. everyone says they want to be Senator, Consul, Proconsul, Censor when they grow up.

No one ever says "I want to be Emperor Commodus' passive boyfriend when I grow up."

Did Equestrians now become Equites? (Or did that happen a while ago and I just now noticed?)

I skipped right over "senator" (oh well, women couldn't be senators anyway). What is an Aedile?

Yes, all member groups were changed to reflect Latin rather than the Anglicized form and others were adjusted from singular to plural, etc...

Servus to Servi

Plebeians to Plebes

Equestrians to Equites

Patricians to Patricii

Legatii to Legati

Triumvirate to Triumviri

As for post ranks which simpy record the number of posts and have no real reflection on anything...

For Military ranks (scroll down a bit)

For the basics on the cursus honorum positions...

Magistrates

For more in depth information on the Cursus Honorum 'ranks' from... William Smith Dictionary of Roman Antiquities scroll down to government.

In particular for Aediles

Phew!

Oh I see. Thanks for the info PP!!

You know. everyone says they want to be Senator, Consul, Proconsul, Censor when they grow up.

No one ever says "I want to be Emperor Commodus' passive boyfriend when I grow up."

LMAO!!! B)

Primus Pilus recently used the exquisite phrase "cavorting with actors" (Lucius Verus) , as the sine qua non of debauched vileness. This reminded me very much of my late Father's most extreme epiphet , when outraged beyond the limits of dignity he would expostulate " damned nancy!" . This was not a phrase meant to make a suggestion relating to certain "tendencies and lewd entertainments " rather a condemnation of complaisant political posturing.

Carcapino tells us:that street corner pantomines in the 1st C AD became vilely debased, titillating audiences with lewd gesture and expostulation,in Macaris and Canace Nero deigned to play the incestuous sister of the female lead.

Primus Pilus recently used the exquisite phrase "cavorting with actors" (Lucius Verus) , as the sine qua non of debauched vileness. This reminded me very much of my late Father's most extreme epiphet , when outraged beyond the limits of dignity he would expostulate " damned nancy!" . This was not a phrase meant to make a suggestion relating to certain "tendencies and lewd entertainments " rather a condemnation of complaisant political posturing.

Carcapino tells us:that street corner pantomines in the 1st C AD became vilely debased, titillating audiences with lewd gesture and expostulation,in Macaris and Canace Nero deigned to play the incestuous sister of the female lead.

I think also a part of the Roman distance to the acting profession was the process of public displays of personal emotion or the make-believe, very low on the list of things to do for the stoic man filled with dignitas.

Yea but they don't want each individual person to be plural lol, kind of like you are Centurio, that's singular isn't it?

having everyone listed as "Aedilis" would be like saying they were more than one person :)

No - please reread. Aedilis is singular, aediles is plural, aedile is ablative. Having aedile is like saying "with an aedile" or "in an aedile" - I don't think any would consent to that.

Yea but they don't want each individual person to be plural lol, kind of like you are Centurio, that's singular isn't it?

having everyone listed as "Aedilis" would be like saying they were more than one person :)

Yes, post count titles are singular intended to say that you as an individual are a:

Tiro, Quaestor, Praetor, etc.

Group ranking is plural indicating membership in a collective category:

Equites, Plebes, Patricii

One way or another, Locutus says you will all be assimilated