UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

The Late Roman Army by Pat Southern

The Late Roman Army

The primary mission of this book is to give the reader a detailed and examined look at the Imperial Roman Army in Late Antiquity, roughly from the time of the 3rd Century Crisis to the fall of the Western Empire and into Justinian's reign in the East. Though being less than 200 pages long, the book gives the reader a sense of understanding on the army during the late Empire that few do. The entire book covers all aspects of the army from the sources that are used for the piece all the way to the Morale of the Army and shows the development from the old Imperial Army to one which imployed Limitani and Field Armies. The main primary sources used are Ammianus, Zosimus and Procopius and is supplamented with excellent secondary sources like A H M Jones and Ramsey MacMullen...

...read the full review of The Late Roman Army by Pat Southern and Karen R. Dixon

thanks Neos Dionysos! :)

cheers

viggen

No, problem... I'll give as many reviews as I can, that is work around my school schedule etc.

Anyone have any questions I'd be happy to answer and or just debate and talk in general on the subject.

...this review has now been updated to the new layout! :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Map of the Roman Empire