UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

St. Andrews

I've been invited to give a lecture at the University of St. Andrews, and I have a free day to do some sight-seeing. Is anyone (such as Pertinax?) familiar enough with the area to suggest some locations that I absolutely must not miss? I'll be flying into Edinburgh.

Ok -

here goes: I asume you are getting a train or hire car up the coast?

The Kingdom Of Fife is glorious- if you want to rest your heart and brain simply dawdle along the coast road from the forth bridge , via Kinghorn ( where I used to live) , Kirkcaldy (industrial- not too pretty) via Crail Harbour . St Andrews is quaint and the harbour mole should be your destination.Dont bother with the small inland mining towns they are unpretty.You will find the many fighter-bombers taking off from Leuchars a slight distraction.

However-I say get into Edinburgh, I love the city and visit often.Locations? oh dear -I think some photos are going into the gallery......

addendum: I have a temporary blog up and likewise a gallery reference if MPC cares to pm me I will guide him round the pics! :)

may I ask what will your paper be ? is it a relevant subject to these Fora?

Edited by Pertinax

may I ask what will your paper be ? is it a relevant subject to these Fora?

Completely irrelevant--Roman history is simply a guilty pleasure of mine.

the best sort of pleasure!

• 2 months later...

A public thanks to Pertinax for a superb list of must-sees in Edinburgh. In case you're interested, Harvey Nichols serves an absolutely fabulous cocktail and lunch. The closest American equivalent I can think of to Harvey Nick's is Barney's in New York, except the view isn't quite as good.

Perhaps if Pertinax had been advising Roman visitors to Britain, they wouldn't have stopped at Hadrian's Wall...

I would agree that Edinburgh is a wonderful city, the first time I visited I was astounded at how nice it was in the evenings (then again, it is the capital). I'm not sure I would have advised the Romans to visit though. I'm sure the pre-castle era wasn't so pleasant up there.

How was the lecture?

Its kind of you to make your thanks public, I was going to remove the Edinburgh Gallery after your visit: but I might expand it to become an Antonine Wall /Northern Tribes -and add some more Fringe shots.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...&cmd=si&img=375

and heres that Bison Grass cocktail!

Edited by Pertinax

Today, they weren't serving the Bison Grass, but I did enjoy a cocktail that involved Lagavulin and muxed grapes. Sounds strange, but it was really fantastic.

(And yes, my talk went well--thanks for asking princeps.)

Edited by M. Porcius Cato