UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pompeius magnus

Best Roman Literature/worst

This topic stems from an argument between Cato and I on Roman literature, so I decided to make a topic dedicated to peoples opinions of the best and worst Roman literature and why.

Suppose I will start off:

Best:

Livy: I have always loved Livy and his insight into Roman history, altough biased it is well written and cleverly mixes mythology and actual fact.

Martial: I love Martial and his cynic poetry, it matches my personality in many ways

Least Favorite:

Catullus- even though he is a very clever and intellegent man I just never got into his poetry based on its content and because he seems a little too obsessed with his woman.

It is said that the statues of Aphrodite were based on a famous Athenian courtesan, Phryne, who in addition to her beauty had a wickedly smart intellect that often landed her in court, where she faced charges of impiety. On one such occasion her boyfriend Hyperides presented his whole defense of her by baring her breasts to the jury. Impressed, they found her innocent.

Like Hyperides, let me offer the following defense of my favorite poem in all Latin literature, De Rerum Natura, by unclothing just one part (1.50-100)

Since the question is on literature and not just 'writing' I would have to say my favorites are Virgil & Ovid as the 'Homer' & 'Hesiod' (per se) of the Latin world. (Though Homer is infinitely better in my mind...)

Martial however perhaps takes my vote for 'best' as apposed to favorite.

Now as to worst...

For a long work of prose I would have to give the honor to Silius Italicus' Punica (Though there are some interesting inventions of Silius' imagination in there)

For poetry, I reluctantly give the honor to something that though has immense historical significance for ancient geographic tidbits found within, is pretentious and horribly written poetry. Rufus Festus Avienus' Ora Maritima

Edited by Pantagathus

As a result of having taken Latin at university, I've been introduced to a wide selection of latin literature, and it made me realize how interesting, colourful and exciting much of it is! I would have to agree that Martial's Epigrams are an enjoyable read - the way he manages to squeeze so much cynical wit into just a few lines and still give it meaning is truely admirable. The art of being concise is not an easy one.

Another favourite of mine is Juvenal' Satires. He also has some of Martial's sarcasm and irony, but is more negative and pessimistic. His writing gives a vivid description of daily llife in Rome and the situation of the poor.

Pertonius' "Satyricon", only partially intact, is a funny tale of two young men and their adventurous journey through Italy. There are some funny stories in this one...

Suetonius should not be underestimated as a source of entertainment. Some of his anecdotes are hilariously funny (if inaccurate as historical sources)! Although it can be macabre to read about how Caligula made parents attend their sons' executions, it's also wonderfully absurd to read about how he staged a fight with Neptune and made his horse a senator.

These are some of my favourite Latin works, but there are many more good ones to choose from.

I don't have any strong opinions on this topic, but I found Livy a bit dry and overly detailed for my tastes. However, I did like his first book and some of his cynical commentaries on the mythological foundation stories.