UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dharma bum

Newbie Here

hey everyone,

just stumbled across the board and thought I'd join.

I have a BA in History with one of my areas of emphasis being Rome. Looking forward to some good discussion here. Also, i have a VERY random question.

You know how when you watch something on say the History Channel they always show artist conceptions of what they're talking about? Every time I watch one they show amazing sketches people have done of Caligula, Nero, etc. and I was wondering if anyone knew any of these artists or a place online I can see some of these.

Again, I know that's random...just taking a shot in the dark.

Welcome, and I would try a google search of images...

Also... where did you get your BA from?

Welcome to the board, most of those sketches you see on the history channel are sketches of sculpters from one period or another. to search for an online source just simply type in the name of the Roman or Greek you are looking for, put their latin name in to maybe decrease some junk sources such as: instead of Pompey type Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus.

yeah ive done the google searches but haven't had much luck....

My BA is from Cal State Long Beach. I graduated in Spring '04. Of Course, Rome was my favorite to study. I'm full Swedish so I also enjoy studying the Vikings as well.

I'm not sure about the history channel, but Angus McBride and Gerry Embleton do many of the illustrations for Osprey books.

I'd also recommend Peter Connolly for reconstructions of the classical period. he has a fantastic book on the Ancient City - half of which is about Rome, 2 volumes about a Roman cavalryman under Trajan ; one on The Holy Land in the time of Jesus; and one on Pompeii. very painstaking artist - and the one who by practical experimentation has rediscovered Roman practices, such as how their four-horned saddles worked.

Phil