UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Graduate School

Neos Dionysos

Hey everyone, I figured this the best place to ask considering this has nothing to do with Roman history... (well indirectly it does LoL)...

Anyway... I'm in the process of deciding which graduate schools to apply to once I get my BA which is not far off and I would of course like to continue into either Greek or Roman, (preferably Roman), history.

Besides Ivy league schools, which is an obvious, (and which I think I would have no chance with anyway), can anyone perhaps point me in a good direction to a school that has a strong history graduate school?

So far I have been told of Berkley, University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana, Columbia and University of Illinois in Chicago, University of North Carolina in Chapal-Hill.

You have any others to suggest? Thanks.

Chapel Hill is an excellent school with a great national rep but the history program is as difficult to get into as an Ivy League school especially if you're from out of state because of the small number of students (as an alumni I know this from first-hand accounts). If you're interested in UNC then I'd try Duke as well.

This site or this one might help you make your decision.

Ha, choose UNC, you'll be in the same town as I am... anyways, UNC is great and comes with tons of nice little things, like a good basketball team (if your interested in that) and a beautiful campus full of town landmarks, as well as the planatarium, yada yada yada. Though incredibly hard to get into, especialy if you live in North Carolina. If you're good, I'd go for it.

But if UNC doesn't let you in, flip the nickel and head for Devils, though Duke has a MUCH prettier campus, with a huge park/garden thing. Though since I'm only a middle schooler I can't give you much more than that.

Edited by Sextus Roscius

I've been to Chapel Hill several times actually... and seen Duke's campus, (it is amazing...), though I was there for completely different reasons. My GF used to live in Chapel Hill, though now she lives in Pittsboro... so I go there and see her...

I've been to Chapel Hill several times actually... and seen Duke's campus, (it is amazing...), though I was there for completely different reasons. My GF used to live in Chapel Hill, though now she lives in Pittsboro... so I go there and see her...

It's spelled Dook. :ph34r:

Virgil

UNC-Chapel Hill Alum