UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Cyrus

English to Latin Translation

Salve Amicōrum! Hello my friends! I

Can you translate this song? I don't quite know how to spell it so I'll guess at it then do it phonetically. We sing it in chorus and I want to know what it is.

Uve latte deo

you-vee-la-tae-day-oh

(and yes, that's pretty much all there is to the song lol but its pretty when sung as a group with different "levels")

It's actually kind of hard to get a grasp on what the words might mean just phonetically, if you come across the actual lyrics, it'd be much easier.

This will be really useful-the amount of times i've come across latin quotes and wanted a proper translation but couldn't get one are innumerable.

Speaking of which, a good friend of mine sent me this excerpt of something-

"Alme Sol nitido diem qui

promis et celas aliusque et idem

nasceris possis nihil Roma

visere maius."

What does it mean, and where is it from? He keeps on needling me for not knowing where it's from; I know i've heard it before!

Ohhh, I'm going to abuse you so much, you're going to regret making this thread. Where's that copy of Vegetius I had laying around?

Ohhh, I'm going to abuse you so much, you're going to regret making this thread.

Lol, go for it; just don

You want me to literally tell you how to ask a small child if he/she came to the gladiatorial games often? lol. I get what you mean, but maybe pick a differnt set of words.

but on a quick translation with no checking or anything, it might be:

Salve, Puella, spectare quotiens gladitorii?

Hey, girl, you watch often the gladitorial games? I'm not too sure about that ending though, i'll check it out later, i'm pretty sure that's a direct translation though*.

*NOT PROPER LATIN.

Always wondered how you would say "Hey, baby, come to these gladiatorial games often?"

I have a old latin copy of Ovid's Art of Love, think it might be in there.

I mention this too much about myself, but yeah, I'm good at translating latin in both ways well better at latin into english, because english into is so much more grammatically complex (ex. the hundreds of uses of the ablatives, indirect commands, double datives...)

I'm taking Latin II in high school right now so I guess I can help out with translations.

"Hey, baby, come to these gladiatorial games often?"

Here's a much better grammatically correct translation:

Ohene, femina, saepe his gladiatoris ludis venis? compared to

Salve, Puella, spectare quotiens gladitorii? (mistakes:

1)Salve is the word for hello not hey, there is many words for hey

2) Obviously you don't have a real verb, rather a infinitive but still the wrong word spectare is to watch

3) The sentence is interrogative exspecting a yes or no answer, so you need to add the enclitic -ne

4) I suppose you can use quotiens as a adverb for often, but saepe is more common

5) other minor mistakes...

Jesus dude, it was an on sight translation, and I was joking around. I thought that it was implied? Thanks anyway, yeah, school's on me now, but thanks.

I was wondering if you esteemed learned translators would extend this site to do translations of people's names to latin? I'm sure we'd all get a laugh to see our names as how they would have been back in ancient Rome :P