UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Cyrus

English to Latin Translation

You do realize that your sentence makes no sense at all.

The queen of peace______ towards us in peace.

Sorry I have no idea what tunda means, I don't think its even a latin word. If you know it, all you have to put what its english word is in. If its a verb it might be a participle or....Is this your homework?

And heres what you requested Neos Dionysos:

"Four men"----> Quattuor viri ( Quattuor is indeclinable)

"May the four lead us to salvation and victory"---> Quattor (viri) nos salvationi et victoriae ducunt.

I'm not sure about the verb because of the May part, it might be ducent to imply future action or its just implied.

"The four have spoken and given there judgement"---> Quattor loquerunt et suos arbitrium dederunt.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Guest Jozue
You do realize that your sentence makes no sense at all.

The queen of peace______ towards us in peace.

Sorry I have no idea what tunda means, I don't think its even a latin word. If you know it, all you have to put what its english word is in. If its a verb it might be a participle or....Is this your homework?

no its not homework, i saw it some where so ive no idea what tunda means either.

i looked up "tundo" instead of tunda and it comes up with: tundo, tundere, tutudi, tunsum, and tusum [to thump , pound, strike repeatedly; to deafen, importune].

thanks

Latin composition is full of pitfalls. Most the translations here are not quite right. However, that is the norm, because we are all foreigners to the language. We should be content if we merely strike close. However, I will point out a few useful things that I immediately notice. I have no wish to make enemies with my first post, but we can all learn from this discussion.

"May the four lead us to salvation and victory"---> Quattor (viri) nos salvationi et victoriae ducunt.

I'm not sure about the verb because of the May part, it might be ducent to imply future action or its just implied.

Quattor nos inducant in conservatum et victoriam.

The word may is often an auxilliary verb indicating a subjunctive mood: inducant rather than inducunt. Never use the dative when the sense is that of a movement toward. I use the preposition in because ad only implies upto the point and not all the way into. It is a cruel thing to go upto the point of victory and yet not cross into it.

"The four have spoken and given there judgement"---> Quattor loquerunt et suos arbitrium dederunt.

Quattor pronuntiaverunt, et iudicium dederunt.

The word loquor is a deponent and must never be conjugated as a normal verb would. Always treat it as though it were passive, even though its English equivalent is not passive: locuti sunt. However, the meaning of spoken is more imperious than a mere chit-chat, requiring a stronger word. I choose pronuntiare.

When I have time, I will put together some most helpful tips for composition into Latin--which is much harder than translation from Latin.

I would like you to translate

"Before the chosen"

Sorry Simon 2, but I don't think there's a word for legend. The Romans didn't differentiate stories, they see every story as the same type.

Sextus:1) Ante lectum ( use this if you intended to refer to time when as in the time before the chosen)

2) Prae lecto ( use this if you want to state position to refer as literally standing before the chosen.)

Thank you for the quick and speedy translation Flavius

i was wondering if you could translate 'legend, live forever'

thank you

Heros, semper viva!

2) Prae lecto ( use this if you want to state position to refer as literally standing before the chosen.)

"In" is preferred for standing literally in front of them.

Why does everyone try to correct. Jeez people, anyways your wrong. Semper means always, not forever. And there isn't a word for legend, theres only fabula. The viva you used is an adverb whiles its suppose to be intended as a verb vivo. Forever should be the adverb part. Where the heck you get heos from, its means master;lord.By the way, in can be used but not really the best grammatical answer. Prae can be used. Believe me, my dictionary and vocab is realiable.

:)

I have something a friend gave me; If this makes sense, what does it mean?

"Missiles invenientes semper potestatem viae habent"

Gee you've moved up in the world since i last saw you Flavius old mate :)

Edited by Tobias

Well your friends sentence is incomplete. I think your friend is looking for a hortatory subjunctive. If it was in the correct it would translate as---> May(or Let) missiles finding you always have a chance on the way.

Your friend putted his words in really bad word order and he seems to forget a direct object,you. I think he means:

May(let) missiles always have a chance at finding you on the way.(road whatever)

Why does everyone try to correct. Jeez people, anyways your wrong.

Uh-huh. Let me guess, Ecce Romani I still? I would be surprised if you had anything more advanced.

Semper means always, not forever.

Technically, you're correct on this one, but semper vive (and this was my mistake, vive not viva) sounds far better than vive in aeternitate. Plus, they both convey the same meaning.

And there isn't a word for legend, theres only fabula.

Fabula means "tale" or "story" and is a different kind of "legend" than the one he's obviously referring to. It's not too hard to infer that he's not talking about a story but about the status of a person, or legend, i.e. legendary hero, thus heros which means hero/demigod etc... and was used to describe such legends as Hercules.

The viva you used is an adverb whiles its suppose to be intended as a verb vivo.

Simple typographical error. Vive, not viva.

Where the heck you get heos from, its means master;lord.By the way, in can be used but not really the best grammatical answer.

First of all, word usage is determined by lexigraphy not grammar, and furthermore, heros is dinstinctly used as "hero" or "demigod" whence we get our modern day "hero" likewise the adjective is herous whence come "heroic" and neither have anything to do with master or lord.

Prae can be used.

True, but in is often preferred for standing directly in front. I was merely presenting another valid option.

Believe me, my dictionary and vocab is realiable.

Um, whatever dictionary you're using is worthless. Which is it, I'm curious?