UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Cyrus

English to Latin Translation

Ha, Ecce Romani my arse, I would never use that thing. Though I'm still in high school, learning both Greek and Latin and in Roman grammar, I'm well beyond it, now I just study Roman history and culture. You see, I like to translate things literal and what people ask for to the best of my ability of what they contextually means.

And what's the point of you trying to insult, is that all you registered for. " Everyone has their own ways of translating things." And pretty much, both our translations can mean the same thing, yet different use of words. My dictionary is oxford by the way.

To the mods(don't mind these post, I'm only a bit vexed.)

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Well your friends sentence is incomplete.

Yeah, my mate is a bit full of himself. He believes himself to be an authority on Latin, but really he's got nothing :romansoldier:

Makes me think, I don't think I should even bother with this thread anymore, I'm pretty sure there's someone better than me would be around almost 24/7 helping out the best way translating. I don't mind people correcting me, its just that they take great pride in it(my opinion)People these days. :romansoldier:

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Its a natural occurence in such a thread Flavius. By putting yourself 'out there' you are naturally put into a position to be questioned. Latin translation, being such an underused language is open to many criticisms and interpretations. Feel free to continue to 'translate' but perhaps you might suggest that you are not quite yet an 'expert' on the subject but still a student... willing to help and yet still learn. :romansoldier:

To those with contrary opinions to Flavius, please understand that he is a student attempting to share and be helpful. Let's try to offer correction with encouragement.

Thanks all.

And allow me to make the dislaimer that since my own knowledge of latin is elementary, UNRV.com doesn't officially endorse any translations within this thread.

Ha, Ecce Romani my arse, I would never use that thing. Though I'm still in high school, learning both Greek and Latin and in Roman grammar, I'm well beyond it, now I just study Roman history and culture.

Oh the joys of youth. I also once thought that after finishing the grammar all will be done. I also was wrong. Latin is one of those languages in which most of its best works were written in such a way that only knowledge of grammar and a dictionary will not help you out at all. The syntax is convulated, the semantics obtuse and at once refined, surely you're aware of the idiomatic tendencies of this language. What can be done rarely is, and more often it's what is done that counts.

BTW - for a good dictionary, I recommend Chambers-Murray. However, it only goes one way (Latin into English) thus you'll have to be more familiar with the language to do English to Latin translations. Familiarity is the key. After finishing high school Latin, I thought I could translate anything. A good dose of Juvenal and Tacitus cured that problem immediately.

Oh, and concerning literality of translations, I myself prefer literal translations when working on a text. In fact, my current project is a translation of Matthew using the best manuscripts (aka UBS 4 with some modifications) into literal English. However, context is key. I don't think Simon2 was looking for an absolutely literal translation. He wanted to grasp the spirit, so I did. Two different problems, two different solutions. Use your judgment wisely.

best regards,

Chris Weimer

Guest xangi

hi ya, yes i too am interested in learning a little latin, just wondering if any of you budding linguists or latin experts out there could translate this quote by Michelangelo for me. thanks much appriciated

" I am still learning "

Guest Farmer61

I would like a variation on MORITURI TE SALUTANT Please, instead of for those about to die etc I would like For those about to rock we salute you . I'm sure you've been asked for this before, if so I apologise for the repeat

Many thanks

hi ya, yes i too am interested in learning a little latin, just wondering if any of you budding linguists or latin experts out there could translate this quote by Michelangelo for me. thanks much appriciated

" I am still learning "

Ancora imparo.

I would like a variation on MORITURI TE SALUTANT Please, instead of for those about to die etc I would like For those about to rock we salute you . I'm sure you've been asked for this before, if so I apologise for the repeat

Many thanks

Latin doesn't really have a word for "to rock". They didn't have music, so "rock 'n' roll" would be lost on them. A common phrase uttered before festivities was "tempus nunc bibendi" (now is the time to drink). I don't think "dancing and singing" would correctly convey the message that Angus meant.

They didn't have music

Not in are sense, but the surely did. It is impossible for a civilized culture to exist without music. They had fewer intsraments, sure, but they doesn't mean they didn't have music. It just wasn't written down

E.G.

Double Flute

Lyre

Drum

Horn

Bells

The difference is that most music was to acompany an epic or story or play. But there was however music to not acompany things.

Anyways, sorry to get off on that, I need to know how to say

"where is she?" "off in the sun rise."

Ubi ea est? ---> In auroram discedit.

(or you can use ortum or orientem instead of auroram but I like how auroram sounds cool ;) )

I'm not sure your if your trying to say whether if she is in the sunrise but most probaly your looking for off "into" the sunrise. There is no definite word for off, so I'm going to use the word discedo which means to depart,go away, leave, in a sense, the word can denote she is "leaving off" into the sun.

Guest Farmer61
They didn't have music

Of course! I meant to add "rock" before that. They didn't have "rock" music. They had plenty of music.

Mea culpa.

Thanks for your help so far, do they have a word for rock as in to move from side to side that would fit?

I do have a valid reason for this seemingly pointless question.

Thanks again

Guest Marcvs Avrelivs

Hello all,

As i am new for this forum and site i have little problem.

I want to translate following sentance: I am Loyal to God, Fatherland and family.

please help me. this is very important for me

Thank you in advance