UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Cyrus

English to Latin Translation

Thanks for your help so far, do they have a word for rock as in to move from side to side that would fit?

I do have a valid reason for this seemingly pointless question.

Thanks again

The closest thing I can think of would be nuto or vacillo.

Also, now comes to mind that agito might be the best option for "rock" in Modern sense, though it would only be inferred by meaning.

Agitatos vos salutamus?

Pius Deique patriaeque familiae sum.

or

Pius et Dei et patriae et familiae sum.

I not sure if loyal is an adjective or adverb, so i made it an adjective. I'm not sure about word order of pius either.

A couple of problems here that needs to be addressed. First of all, -que goes on the subsequent nouns in a series and not the first, so using your words "Dei patriaeque familiaeque". Second of all, pius has major religious overtones that might not be appropriate here. I suggest "fidelis" "faithful, loyal" instead. Think fidelity. I suggest, "Fidelis Deo, Patriaeque, et Familiae sum." The "sum" is optional. Lastly, since you're using a form of "to be", loyal has to be a predicate adjective. Never in this instance could "loyal" be an adverb. Not to be condescending, but a good grasp of grammar principles need to be learned before continuing translating. There are plenty of resources on the web which explain English grammar (and thus can learn the principles behind Latin grammar as well) such as predicate adjectives and adverbs. In case it merely slipped your mind or you weren't thinking, adjectives can only modify verbs, adjectives, or other adverbs, never pronouns. Since "I" is a pronoun, it has to be an adjective.

Edited by Q Valerius Scerio

Oops silly of me on the first part and Deo, forgot its a second declension. As for -que, yup my teacher always said I was gonna screw that up. About the word pius, the person above mentioned God and family, so can't you use it since in a modern view by others who would understand it as extreme faithfulness.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Flavius how do you feel about attempting to explain Roman place names?

Well there is a thing called the locative case.

With the names of cities, towns, small islands, domus(house), and rus(countryside), the preposition is not used in expressions of place. These words express place by a case called the locative. Its form is like the genitive in the singular of nouns of the first and second declensions, otherwise like the ablative. Rus always and other third declension nouns occasionally have the -i locative case. For example:

Placewhere:

He is in Rome--> Romae est compared to/He is in the city--> In urbe est.

So really, when its a name of a city or the specific stated about, it would be in the genitive form, feminine- ae, masculine-i, third declension -i. WHen it is place from which for locative words, it would be in the ablative --> Roma. WHen place to which, accusative--> Romam

I want a translation of it now, its becoming one of my favorite sayings.

"May the gods confound him, who first invented the hours, and who placed the first sundial in Rome!"

"Pity me, pity me! They have segmented my day like the teeth of a comb! When I was a boy my stomach was my clock, and it never sterred me wrong; now even if the table overflows there's no eating till shadows are long. Rome is rule by the sundial; Romans starve and thirst all the while!"

First line:

Dei miscerent(or consternarent) eum, quem primum horas inveni, ac quem horologium primum

Romae.

I'm not right, but I do what I can. I'm not sure if who is accusative since the direct object is the same as who, so I'm not sure if it refers to the Direct object.

Note: probably not 100% right.

Alright, maybe one of you can help me. I wrote a fantastical story about a gladiatrix and I need to know some things in latin to make it complete.

first thing: the word freedom in Latin in such a way that it could be used as a name

second thing: translation fo the line We shall call the child freedom

can you help? Thanks ;)

Guest RPGPundit

Hi, I was wondering if any of the more erudite scholars could help me correctly translate a line from Valerius Flaccus' Argonautica.

The line is: "Tendite in astra viri"

Thanks.

Alright, maybe one of you can help me. I wrote a fantastical story about a gladiatrix and I need to know some things in latin to make it complete.

first thing: the word freedom in Latin in such a way that it could be used as a name

can you help? Thanks :)

For her name, try Libertas (Latin = Freedom) or Eleutheria (Greek = Freedom). Slaves and non-citizens often had Greek names, even if they weren't Greek in origin, so I would choose the Greek. Not a very beautiful word though. Or you might I suppose say Libera (Latin = free [feminine]), but not Liberta (Latin = freedwoman, former slave).

For the line, try Nominemus eam Libertatem/Eleutheriam/Liberam (Let us call her Freedom/Free) or Nominabimus eam L/E/L (We will call her Freedom/Free).

Does that help? Can we read the story?

Hi, I was wondering if any of the more erudite scholars could help me correctly translate a line from Valerius Flaccus' Argonautica.

The line is: "Tendite in astra viri"

Thanks.

May men extend into the stars. or Let men extend into the stars.

QUOTE(Lost_Warrior @ Dec 13 2005, 03:11 AM) *

can you help? Thanks smile.gif

For her name, try Libertas (Latin = Freedom) or Eleutheria (Greek = Freedom). Slaves and non-citizens often had Greek names, even if they weren't Greek in origin, so I would choose the Greek. Not a very beautiful word though. Or you might I suppose say Libera (Latin = free [feminine]), but not Liberta (Latin = freedwoman, former slave).

For the line, try Nominemus eam Libertatem/Eleutheriam/Liberam (Let us call her Freedom/Free) or Nominabimus eam L/E/L (We will call her Freedom/Free).

Does that help? Can we read the story?

yes that helps, however it's supposed ot be a boy so should I use Liberus?

Yea you can read the story, when I've got the kinks out of it I'll post it :)

Ah, ok. I was going for something that would be known to mean "freedom" by those in attendance. I'll use what you came up with though :) probly post it later tonite...about ready to leave now.