UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Cyrus

English to Latin Translation

i am wondering if i have this right:

"venia autem nunquam intercido" .. in which i am trying to mean "forgiven but never forgotten"..

is "intercido" the write word to mean forgotten or gone from memory? or would "effluo" or "excido" be more appropriate? i am unsure if the verb form/tense is correct too. i was using a free online translator and it got a bit confusing.

Uh, never use free online translater, never! :) Just don't, its like 70% wrong every time. Don't trust my translating, sometimes I'm wrong. What you're looking for is:

Justificatus sum autem numquam obliteratus sum.

(Literally says: "I have been forgiven but I have never been forgotten" or "I was forgiven, but I was never forgotten.")

My choice of latin words may be wrong too, but they are close enough. I'll just wait for Scerio correct me. :)

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Thank you for getting back to me. i was hoping that i got somewhere with the online translator but i guess not. anyhow, i am trying to say that in second person.. like "you are forgiven, never forgotten" but even in a omniscent person... like it could be applicable to second or third person.. how would you change to that tense?

if you removed the "es" from the singular version, would you have something that translates literally into "forgiven but never forgotten"... without the reference to the he/she/you/them? can i remove it for tattoo purposes and not lose the meaning of the phrase? I don't want to change it to be too simplistic and make it sound too choppy. but i don't want the phrase to be too long and technical. what do you say?

and thanks again.

Since its for a tattoo, forget eveything I said. Just wait for Scerio to translate it properly. Don't want to mess up your tattoo.So far, here's my best, but don't use it because my choice of latin diction for the words forgiven and forgotten may not exactly mean those things.

So you want to say: You are forgiven, but you are never forgotten.

Justificaris autem numquam obliteraris.

Since we have no actual noun, the vocative(address) can't be used.

The best, in my humble opinion, would be "Ignotum sed numquam oblitum"

Now, if you're talking about a person, it wouldn't be -um. If it's a male, then ignotus sed numquam oblitus if a female then ignota sed numquam oblita. The first line is only for a thing, such as a crime.

juicy j - I just saw your message. Who exactly are you talking to? A male or female?

Ignotus Numquam Oblitus - if the "you" is a male

Ignota Numquam Oblita - if the "you" is female.

thanks so much this is very helpful. i am also just curious: does "ignota sed numquam oblita" refer to "(she is) forgiven..." or "(you are) forgiven...". because i see that it is applicable for both, so is there a difference? and which would you recommend, for clarity's sake: with or without "sed"?

thanks again. merry holidays too

okay cool. what does "ignota" translate into exactly? because i have seen "venia" used to mean forgive, right? and what about Justificaris? i'm just curious as to the breakdown of the word choice because i have seen a few different variations.

Ignota Sed Numquam Oblita is translated just as Constatinus said. However, it's used for a woman. It can be either "you" or "she" - doesn't matter, but cannot be "he" or "it". And it can only be a "you" if the "you" is female.

Venia, on the other hand, doesn't mean forgiven, but forgiveness. Big difference.

And really, you can have it without the sed, especially if it's for a tattoo where you can explain what it means rather easily than if it were written in real Latin.

So yeah, Ignota Numquam Oblita is acceptable, literally translated as "Forgiven, Never Forgotten" - if you want the "but" add Sed.