UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Cyrus

English to Latin Translation

I don't think you can use neminem as another option, the verb credo strictly takes only the dative case. Just to add, the dative and genitive are seldom used. As quoted from my Latin grammar book:

" Nemo is derived from ne+homo. Its genitive and dative are seldom used; nullius and nulli(from nullus,-a,-um) are used instead. There is no plural. The accusative is neminem."
Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

hi,

a friend wants to get "control is an illusion" translated into latin for a tattoo shes getting. she had an online translator come out with "imperium est figmentum".

i'm not too good with latin, but the -UM endings seem too simple, as though they havent been conjugated. that and any automated translator is kinda scary.

anyone confident enough to translate for a tatoo?

thanks in advance

Imperium figmentum est would work. Praestigia isn't attested to, as far as I know.

Guest residentgearhead

are the endings on imperium and figmentum correct? if so thank you guys very much for the help

Guest Membranatus

Hi. I have to congratulate you all for this excellent thread. I'm tired of not getting the right translation from the online thingies.. thank you all for this magnificent tool you've become (i mean that as a compliment, of course).

allow me to excuse myself for my english. i'm from Argentina, and it's been a whole year since i've run into any english-speaking being.

i'd like to start with a question for the learned, since i'm also planning to abuse you all with the translation.

i've read an argentinian book called La Palabra Amenazada ("The Threatened Word") wich is all about the roots of the language and the evolution of it (spanish, obviously). the author says that the word family ("familia" in spanish), comes from the latin word "famulus".

i've seem you translated family as familia (wich if i belive the author, caomes from famulus), and i've also seen that i was a "fight" because of the translation, the transliteration, the context and many other things.

forgive me (and the author) if i'm worng, but it was said on that book that "famulus" was used to mention de group of slaves that the nobles possesed. this evolved into the concept of family, because the tides between slaves under the same noble were commonly of blood.

so, if it is the context what we are priorizing in this translation thread i ask you:

isn't there a better word for family than familia? isn't there a word wich contextualy with todays reallity can give us an appropiatte translation without the "slave-thing"?

thanks.

(i can't belive how long it took me to write all that... )

Edited by Membranatus

Give Pantagathus a Personal Message.He's good at word origins and usage.

Well the word familia doesn't necessarily comes with the slave aspect, it had that aspect because it can come to describe any families including slaves. But one thing I believe is that the word family certainly does not come famulus beacause famulus strictly mean servant or slave, now that in no way has to do with family. Its all about familia and I have no idea how famulus got into the piture, I mean you can't say 'famuly' from the stem of famulus, which is why familia is more probable because its stem allows it to evolve into 'family'.Other words I know of for family might be

Sanguis, sanguinis- blood;family

progenies, progeniei- race,family,progeny

cognatio, cognationis-blood relationship;relatives/kinsmen

origio, originis- origin,source;birth,family

If I were you, I would always stick with familia because to a Roman, there really isn't much of a slave aspect.

Note these are just simple words that might have any significance compared to that of familia,-ae.

In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power.

Translate that please.

In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power.

Translate that please.

Luckily, I'm still around to bother with this thread:

Haec lex in re publica conspecta esse debet ne magnum partem superantem imperium habeant.

I might be wrong with the word order regarding the purpose clause. Oh to the darn with it, anyone can correct me if they can. :)

Guest Membranatus
Give Pantagathus a Personal Message.He's good at word origins and usage.

Well the word familia doesn't necessarily comes with the slave aspect, it had that aspect because it can come to describe any families including slaves. But one thing I believe is that the word family certainly does not come famulus beacause famulus strictly mean servant or slave, now that in no way has to do with family. Its all about familia and I have no idea how famulus got into the piture, I mean you can't say 'famuly' from the stem of famulus, which is why familia is more probable because its stem allows it to evolve into 'family'.Other words I know of for family might be

Sanguis, sanguinis- blood;family

progenies, progeniei- race,family,progeny

cognatio, cognationis-blood relationship;relatives/kinsmen

origio, originis- origin,source;birth,family

If I were you, I would always stick with familia because to a Roman, there really isn't much of a slave aspect.

Note these are just simple words that might have any significance compared to that of familia,-ae.

Thank you very much for your fast reply Constantinus! and also thanks for the words i asked you.

ok, so it may be possible that the book i read was wrong, thanks for your opinion on that.

being new here, i belive that it wouldn't be ethically correct for me to start pointing things out, but what i want to say involves ethics, so here it goes:

i think many of you should be ashamed. this is supposed to be a mutual help thread, a space where some with knowledge in latin are good willing enough to satisfy our curiosity and to help us with anything we need. but nevetheless many of you simply forgot about the words "please" and "thanks".

come on! these guys are giving us something the we can't find around the net, and for free... lets not waste it just because we forgot about good manners. it doesn't cost you a thing to ask properly for a translation, nor to be thankful for it....

Membranatus.

Edited by Membranatus

hi, a friend recommended your site for some help on a translation i would like for a tattoo, i have seen many online site that offer free translations or for a s little as

Reminder: I fret at translating for tattoos knowing that I might be wrong and just have """" someone's skin.

Aeternaliter in meo corde. or Semper in meo corde.

Semper in meo animo. or Aeternaliter in meo animo.

Note animo means mind/spirit. But then the word also comes to symbolize many things such as in 'heart', intellect, etc. Semper means always, so it can really mean the same as forever.

If I were you I wouldn't trust me, who knows, I might very well be wrong. Just wait until someone better comes by and see what they have to say.

Guest penta

Hi,

I am hoping you might be able to help me. I need the following translated into latin:

"The magic is still within us when life gets in the way."

Would really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Penta

Hi,

I am hoping you might be able to help me. I need the following translated into latin:

"The magic is still within us when life gets in the way."

Would really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Penta

Sorry, I don't believe there's an actual word for get other than potior which means get possesion of so I'll replace it with 'impedes' instead.

The magic is still within us when life impedes the way.

Magia tamen est intra nos quando vitam viam impedit.

Note: I could be wrong.

well thanks for being honest, a family friend who knows a little latin did mention semper for always/forever and i think animo was mentioned for heart so thanks.

anyone else out there that can shed some light on this topic?

Guest mar

This is such a gorgeous language and I need a translation that I can't seem to find anywhere else.

The first on is "Thy Will Not Mine"

The second one is "God doesn't play dice" (did they even have dice back then? :)

And the third is "God will guide me."

Oh please help I have a tattoo appointment tonight and I want it to be accurate since it will be on me forever.

mar

Edited by mar