UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Cyrus

English to Latin Translation

I would have to side with Favonius' translation semper in meo animo as semper is the best way to say forever, and animo is describing not the literal heart as in the thing that pumps blood, but more of the soul as animo can be translated in several ways, such as courage, character, minds, and so on.

Guest mar

This is such a gorgeous language and I need a translation that I can't seem to find anywhere else.

The first on is "Thy Will Not Mine"

The second one is "God doesn't play dice" (did they even have dice back then?)

And the third is "God will guide me."

Oh please help I have a tattoo appointment tonight and I want it to be accurate since it will be on me forever.

I apologize if I have placed this in the wrong section.

mar

I would have to side with Favonius' translation semper in meo animo as semper is the best way to say forever, and animo is describing not the literal heart as in the thing that pumps blood, but more of the soul as animo can be translated in several ways, such as courage, character, minds, and so on.

You do mean me since I did that translation, not Favonius right? :)

as for Mar:

Well I would like to point out I may be wrong.

God doesn't play dice. --->Deus tesseram non fecit.

Deus me reget. ---> God will 'lead' me. ( I used lead instead of guide, still the same meaning really)

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

What is this? I leave for a little bit, come back and the world's in havoc!

Indeed, familia comes from famulus. Technically, it comes from famulia, which was the group of slaves that a family owned, and then the great U->I change in Latin changed it to familia.

Sextus Roscius - it appears that you're quoting Cicero. No English to Latin translation will get you near what he said. If you can find the book it appears in, I could give you what it really says. And yes, sorry Constantinus, but you've got it very wrong. Conspecta esse? Why would you prefer a perfect here instead of the present like the quote? I won't even bother with the rest of that jumbled mess. No offense.

semper in mea corde sounds far more pleasant to my ears than animus/a.

"The magic is still within us when life gets in the way."

Magica adhuc intra nos cum vita in via iacet.

The Magic still within us when life lies in the way.

The second one is "God doesn't play dice" (did they even have dice back then? :lol:

Jerome translated "will" as voluntas.

Voluntas tua, Non Mea

Deus aleas non iacit. (God does not throw dice)

Deus me ducit. (That's the best and most common word for "to lead")

Edited by Q Valerius Scerio

What is this? I leave for a little bit, come back and the world's in havoc!

Indeed, familia comes from famulus. Technically, it comes from famulia, which was the group of slaves that a family owned, and then the great U->I change in Latin changed it to familia.

Sextus Roscius - it appears that you're quoting Cicero. No English to Latin translation will get you near what he said. If you can find the book it appears in, I could give you what it really says. And yes, sorry Constantinus, but you've got it very wrong. Conspecta esse? Why would you prefer a perfect here instead of the present like the quote? I won't even bother with the rest of that jumbled mess. No offense.

semper in mea corde sounds far more pleasant to my ears than animus/a.

"The magic is still within us when life gets in the way."

Magica adhuc intra nos cum vita in via iacet.

The Magic still within us when life lies in the way.

The second one is "God doesn't play dice" (did they even have dice back then? :lol:

Jerome translated "will" as voluntas.

Voluntas tua, Non Mea

Deus aleas non iacit. (God does not throw dice)

Deus me ducit. (That's the best and most common word for "to lead")

'What is this? I leave for a little bit, come back and the world's in havoc!'

College?

I suppose this is what I get for not double checking my translations. :)

Looking back, oops, turns out the verb should have been a present passive.

'semper in mea corde', cor is neuter so maybe it should be meo

Deus aleas non iacit- you're absolutely right, yet the Romans had a specific name for game dice which they did have and it was called tesserae, so maybe that can be used in place of alea

Deus me ducit, I believe the person was looking for an active future tense of duco. Nevermind rego, I have no idea what got into me. But if you use voluntas, 'Dei voluntas me ducet'. God's will shall lead me.

'semper in mea corde', cor is neuter so maybe it should be meo

Indeed. My mistake.

Deus aleas non iacit- you're absolutely right, yet the Romans had a specific name for game dice which they did have and it was called tesserae, so maybe that can be used in place of alea

A tessera was a type of dice, like alea and talus. Actually, all three are very common, but the most common in English would be alea uttered infamously by Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon "Alea iacta est" (The die is cast).

Deus me ducit, I believe the person was looking for an active future tense of duco. Nevermind rego, I have no idea what got into me. But if you use voluntas, 'Dei voluntas me ducet'. God's will shall lead me.

Oh yes, the future. Deus me ducet.

Translate this please:

"If I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. If I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a comunist."

sorry flavius, even in my limited knowledge of latin, isn't there a better word than "miserum"? To my knowledge that simply translates to "wretched" Sorry, just saying.

Haha, you take things so literally. Miserum also designates poor conditions which really means they are poor. Plus, there is no exact word in latin for poor. Would it be better if I used the word unfortunate/infelix instead which is the same meaning in context with miser. You get the drift...when it comes to latin, you've gotta take translations very idiomatically. You'll learn that later on in latin...

Oh also, I might be wrong on the translation...

I'll bet you a penny you are, if your are right, keep the change! I figured I was taking things to literaly....

Don't get too cocky Flavius, the main difference in our latin knowledge is vocabulary... I'll catch up at some point. :P

Edited by Sextus Roscius

I'll bet you a penny you are, if your are right, keep the change! I figured I was taking things to literaly....

Don't get too cocky Flavius, the main difference in our latin knowledge is vocabulary... I'll catch up at some point. :P

Oh me, pompous? Heavens no, but don't worry, the next difference that's going to set us is when I learn Greek next year and master it, :P during that time, you can catch up all you want. :P

Uh oh, then you'll kick my butt in two areas, of the irony. Have fun with greek anyways.

Oh, you'll be learning Greek two? I'll have to school you on that as well. Now that I'm learning Hebrew and Coptic, you'll have time to catch up with me on Latin and Greek.

The best word for financially poor is "pauper, pauperis".

"If I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. If I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

"Si cibum pauperibus, me sanctum vocant. Si rogo cur pauperes cibum non habeant, "communista" vocant."

Points on FVC: nihil cibi also works, literally meaning "nothing of food." Nil is more "modern", and indirect questions always take the subjunctive.